What do you feed your dog?

Quote:
I beg to differ....my dogs gorge themselves on apple drops every year from my orchard and get pretty hyper from it all. Poop red for months. They also fight the hens for any vegetable scraps, simply love carrot pulp and apple pulp, will sit and gnaw on and consume broccoli, etc. They are well fed, so I can only assume they eat these things for taste. The pup even dug up my potatoes and ate them, ate any and all tomatoes I gave him and even ate the grapefruit I threw out. The older dog eats apples and carrots, but she is picky about other vegetables, seems to like tomatoes, though. The pup loves fruits and vegetables! Wolves, coyotes and foxes eat berries and apples, dig up certain roots to eat, etc. I don't think they are strictly carnivores at all.

I have known lots of dogs who like cut veggies for various reasons - my dogs will steal apples from our donkeys and chew on them just because they can, but realistically you aren't telling me that given a choice between a pound of hamburger and free run of the garden they would choose the garden?

Dogs are carnivores, they have a carnivore digestive system, they can't and won't get any significant nutrient value by eating veggies because they aren't capable of making anything very useful out of it. And in order to be classified as omnivore they would have to be able to both obtain and use the nutrients in the food.

Take a cow for instance, they have a very specific digestive system, one that is especially made to create volitile fatty acids and protein out of a dried up corn stalk and dead bacteria living in their rumen. They can live all winter on a field of cut corn stalks if needed. A dog's intestinal tract doesn't even come close to a cow, or human a true omnivore, for that matter.

In college every year for nutrition we had a digestive tract lab - every species that was available at the time of the lab was dissected and the tracts were laid out flat on the floor of the stock yard. It was BLATENTLY obvious which animals were carnivores, which were omnivores, and which were herbavores. Even my son, who was 5 at the time I took him to one lab, got it right. Believe me, a dog is a carnivore, even from 15 feet away it was easy to pick out the cat and dog digestive tract by length alone. (And by the way, the most interesting species at those labs was by FAR the goose! The filled crop in a dissected goose was simply awesome!
big_smile.png
)

It isn't really up for debate I don't think - I'm not aware that they have at any time past or present been scientifically classified as omnivores.

Last edited:
Keep it on topic Ducky, we are talking about what we feed not asking about what people think dogs are, in a carni-omni perspective. What do you feed your dog? If it is anything but RAW you are feeding an omni-diet.

Venison is great for dogs and I know some ppl on the rawfeeding yahoo group (yes, I am still on it) sometimes get calls when someone hits a deer and go pick up the road kill and butcher and keep the best parts for their dogs to eat. With any wild game I would freeze for 3 wks to be sure any worms/bacteria were killed.
My dogs loved beef/pork neck bones but not those crappy supermarket cuts that are NOTHING but bone. The butcher I used had at least an inch of meat on them and in the sizes they cut them in it was so easy to measure them out. I also fed chicken legs/thighs, beef heart, beef/pork liver, lamb liver/kidneys, pig ears/feet/tails etc. I never fed tripe though, it just was too gross
tongue.png

Ok, off topic for just a second... is Hooligan the dog in your avatar?
love.gif

I have a friend in the Seattle area who does sell tripe, if anyone were to want to buy it. She feeds it to her Frenchies, and absolutely swears by it! Due to the smell, I have not gotten brave enough to give it to my dogs just yet.

Nope, that is Bubbles she's an American Bulldog but more of the Old Southern White strain.

This was Hooligan, she passed away on Jan 14th from cancer. She was the light of my life:
249704244.jpg

Solid Gold makes Green Tripe in a can but I am not sure if its just tripe or like a minced dog food, either way pretty yucky!

First off - people were writing about feeding their pets garlic :

From the ASPCA Poison Control
Onions, Garlic, Chives
Did You Know… Onions, garlic, chives and other species of the plant genus Allium can be potentially toxic to pets?

Allium species contain sulfur compounds known as disulfildes, which if ingested in large quantities can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could even result in damage to red blood cells. While cats are more sensitive to disulfides, dogs and other species of animals are also susceptible to Allium poisoning if enough plant material is consumed. Therefore, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises companion animal owners to avoid feeding pets onions, garlic and other Allium plants.

I personally don't feed my dogs, cats, or horses garlic (or onions) for this reason.

I have a pom with chronic pancreatic issues - so he is on Purina Veterinary OM and EN. On anything else he has terrible bouts of pancreatitis. He does get the occasional green bean that he loves. He ate Purina Dog Chow or Purina One until about 2 years ago. Now any deviation from the prescription diets causes a flare up.

I have a allergy hound mix that gets Flint River Ranch Fish and Chips or Merrick wilderness blend. We started trying novel proteins about 4 years ago. Did Nutro Natural Choice Chicken and Oatmeal for about 2 years, then she lost hair again - switched to Flint River then - I have a dealer here in town!

My husky gets Purina Dog Chow or Science Diet Natures Best (The science diet only when we're out and I need food - I am a RVT and can "charge" things at work for a week or two - the science diet gives nasty stinky feces and lots of it.) Until the other dogs developed GI issues - the all were fed Purina Dog Chow or Purina One.

We feed Pedigree to the kenneled dogs at work.

I would do a home cooked food if I could get it balanced and could take the time. I don't even do home cooked for myself. But I don't think I could feed raw, after my parasitology and microbiology classes. Freezing does not kill everything - puts some ickies into a kind of frozen animation. After seeing all the dogs and cats in for obstructions and intestinal damage from all kinds of different bones (chicken, beef, etc.), I couldn't feed bones either.

I give Greenies with reservation but only after I watched my animals to make sure they chewed off small bites and didn't swallow large chunks. I give rawhide occasionally, but only when I can watch the dogs. I used to give chew hooves, but after one brand really smelling up the house I don't do that now either.

I would never feed Ol' Roy because of the amount I would have to feed compared to the amount of the other foods I feed would make it equivalent to the more premium foods in price. And I don't feel that it is nutritionally equal either.

My crew are all around 8-9 years old and all rescues.

My previous gal was a 13 year old pom who passed of kidney failure. She ate Eagle Pack and Purina One until she developed bladder stones, then was on s/d and c/d after that. A fellow RVT had rescued her from a backyard breeder - she had puppy mange so bad she was bald. From that RVT, she had 2 other Vet Assistant homes before me.​

Quote:
It's worth EVERY single penny you papy for it IF you have a picky eater or one ou need to put weight on! It can be fed my itself, so it's not tripe alone.
Also, Tripett is GREAT stuff and doesn't stink NEAR as bad as the Solid Gold stuff or real tripe.
2 GREAT GREAT products!!!

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry - I thought I was allowed to respond to other posts? I apologize if that is not the case and I was not the poster who brought up this debate, by the way, I just figured that I'd share my opinion.

People should feed what they feel comfortable with, as I said in my other post.

Oh if my dogs needed it they'd be getting it no matter how icky it was, but with so many other choices I chose to avoid it since they didn't need it specifically.
tongue.png

As for garlic, large amts. would need to be eaten for the thiosulphate to cause illness.
It is a natural flea repellant plus much more. Here is a great article on garlic:

The Healing Properties of Garlic

Technology can be a dangerous thing. For example, we’ve had a couple of people call and say that they read on the internet that garlic is harmful to pets. Garlic? Harmful to pets? Are we talking about the same garlic that’s been used by holistic vets for decades as a natural flea treatment and antioxident? Okay, we admit – garlic can be harmful to pets, and people for that matter. Then again, so can water. Allow us to explain.

Garlic (Allium sativum) has been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes. Sanskrit records show its medicinal use about 5,000 years ago, and it has been used for at least 3,000 years in Chinese medicine. The Egyptians, Babylonians, Greeks, and Romans were known to have harnessed the healing properties of garlic as well. According to the Whole Dog Journal, small amounts of garlic not only act as a natural flea repellant, but garlic can be used for its wonderful antifungal and antibacterial properties. It also promotes the production of white blood cells thereby acting as an immune booster for dogs with low or compromised immunity and may benefit dogs with diabetes by helping reduce blood-sugar levels.

What makes garlic so great for dog health problems? Allicin appears to be the active component in the root bulb (cloves) of the garlic plant which trigger its healing properties. Allicin is formed when alliin, a sulfur-containing amino acid, comes into contact with the enzyme alliinase when raw garlic is chopped, crushed, or chewed. Heating garlic will lessen the medicinal capabilities, but naturally dehydrating it won’t. That is to say the garlic used in a nutritional supplement, or garlic found in one of our pet food mixes is simply raw garlic that has been crushed and dehydrated.

Despite its healing qualities, Garlic contains a compound named thiosulphate. In extremely high levels thiosulphate can be a dangerous toxin that cause hemolytic anemia in dogs. But we’re not talking about garlic dog treats, supplemental garlic, or healthy table scraps that may have included fresh garlic in the recipe. We’re talking about situations where your pet sniffs out several bulbs of garlic you were about to use for a giant batch of homemade spaghetti sauce for the whole neighborhood and winds up eating 50 cloves in one sitting. We repeat . . . it would take up to 50 cloves for garlic to be harmful to your dog! 50 cloves of garlic wouldn’t be a good idea for anyone, let alone your dog. In the event that your dog did get into a basket of garlic cloves, the symptoms of hemolytic anemia can develop within a few hours or a few days. Signs include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, depression, and loss of appetite. If you see these symptoms in your pet and you're missing a lot of cloves of garlic, call your vet.
The bottom line there is that dogs and cats can get into many things around the house that are toxic if consumed in large quantities. But, when used in moderation, garlic can be a healthy supplement. According to Charlie Fox, the co-author of The Garlic Cure (McCleery & Sons, 2002), garlic can be used to stimulate and support immune function, trigger gastric juices for better digestion, encourage the growth of friendly bacteria, and prevent infections. He’s seen garlic reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer as well as improve blood sugar regulation and promote detoxification.​

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry - I thought I was allowed to respond to other posts? I apologize if that is not the case and I was not the poster who brought up this debate, by the way, I just figured that I'd share my opinion.

People should feed what they feel comfortable with, as I said in my other post.

I guess I could have mistaken your meaning. It seemed you were trying to say those who feed an omni-diet (or vegetarian diet), are incorrectly feeding our dogs.
What do you feed your dogs, Ducky?

Oh and do you listen to the Ducky Boys?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom