1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What do you feed your pig?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wolf-Kim, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Alright for all those who raise pigs for well, pork. What do you feed your pigs? Tables scraps are a given. I do not recall ever seeing Pig Starter Grower or Pig Finisher at the feedstore. LOL

Thanks!

-Kim

2. hangemhorns

hangemhorns Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Morrison
    i feed my pigs..grower....and everything else....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  3. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Is it actually Pig Grower? I have not seen any pig feed in the feedstores around here. Maybe I have just never looked.

-Kim

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

TSC has a pellet form of "pig starter" Its medicated for baby pigs, to stop them from getting " swollen jowl" I start mine on this, then switch to "finisher" Its a powdery feed...I just add water to make a "slop" After about 2 months old, I also give them rolled corn with it. Every morning I pick willow branches and weeds for them...and of course they get a few eggs a day and whatever slop I can get, no meat.

5. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Alright, cool. Thank you for your help!

-Kim

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Growena + garden culls + kitchen scraps (no meat) + goats milk + eggs

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    We used to feed our pig "Hog food" from Agway. It was just little pellets and looked just like layer pellets. He loved it, but he also used to love sneaking food from the goats as well. He also got lots of fruit and veggie scraps, but we didn't give him too many unhealthy things like meat or anything greasy. You also have to be careful with avocados and potatoes, especially the skins.

8. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    If it sits or stands in one place to long its fed to the pigs [​IMG]

John

9. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Well I was at TSC and really looked for hog food today and I found one little pile of it. It was Hog Finisher and it cost almost $16 a 50lb bag. Is this the usual cost or it TSC being expensive(like with their laying pellets)?

Do you free-feed your hogs?

I looked at those 50lb bags today and got to thinking. A hog is going to be VERY expensive if he is allowed to eat as much of this, $15 bag of chow, as he so pleases.

What did hogs eat before commercial feed? We get oats and corn from our farmer pretty cheap. He also sells barley(don't know if that helps at all). We feed our horses oats and our chickens corn. Just wondered if we could get away from feeding our hog a ton of money.

I'm cheap and hate feeding commercial feeds if I can avoid them. I hate knowing I'm paying for a ton of fillers that don't do anything for the animals put make them feel full and crap more.

Thanks!

-Kim

10. ChickieWhickie

ChickieWhickie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Western KY
    wal-mart has pig feed...but i have a couple of my local grocers save the produce that they are throwing in the dumpster for me...i furnish the trash can for them to put it in... i wash out the can every day and take it back....you might also ask the farmers at your local farmers market too...Arnetta my pig absolutely loves it...and my goats, chickens, ducks & geese love some of it too:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by