What do you feed your pig?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Alright for all those who raise pigs for well, pork. What do you feed your pigs? Tables scraps are a given. I do not recall ever seeing Pig Starter Grower or Pig Finisher at the feedstore. LOL

Thanks!

-Kim

Is it actually Pig Grower? I have not seen any pig feed in the feedstores around here. Maybe I have just never looked.

-Kim

TSC has a pellet form of "pig starter" Its medicated for baby pigs, to stop them from getting " swollen jowl" I start mine on this, then switch to "finisher" Its a powdery feed...I just add water to make a "slop" After about 2 months old, I also give them rolled corn with it. Every morning I pick willow branches and weeds for them...and of course they get a few eggs a day and whatever slop I can get, no meat.

We used to feed our pig "Hog food" from Agway. It was just little pellets and looked just like layer pellets. He loved it, but he also used to love sneaking food from the goats as well. He also got lots of fruit and veggie scraps, but we didn't give him too many unhealthy things like meat or anything greasy. You also have to be careful with avocados and potatoes, especially the skins.

If it sits or stands in one place to long its fed to the pigs
smile.png

John

Well I was at TSC and really looked for hog food today and I found one little pile of it. It was Hog Finisher and it cost almost $16 a 50lb bag. Is this the usual cost or it TSC being expensive(like with their laying pellets)?

Do you free-feed your hogs?

I looked at those 50lb bags today and got to thinking. A hog is going to be VERY expensive if he is allowed to eat as much of this, $15 bag of chow, as he so pleases.

What did hogs eat before commercial feed? We get oats and corn from our farmer pretty cheap. He also sells barley(don't know if that helps at all). We feed our horses oats and our chickens corn. Just wondered if we could get away from feeding our hog a ton of money.

I'm cheap and hate feeding commercial feeds if I can avoid them. I hate knowing I'm paying for a ton of fillers that don't do anything for the animals put make them feel full and crap more.

Thanks!

-Kim

wal-mart has pig feed...but i have a couple of my local grocers save the produce that they are throwing in the dumpster for me...i furnish the trash can for them to put it in... i wash out the can every day and take it back....you might also ask the farmers at your local farmers market too...Arnetta my pig absolutely loves it...and my goats, chickens, ducks & geese love some of it too:)

Back
Top Bottom