What do you grow in your garden?

Quote:
It takes time to regain the balance of good bugs vs. bad bugs, especially if pesticides have been used in the area previously, or are still in use nearby. The soil, too needs time to recuperate. Adding compost goes a long way towards helping this.
I planted a ton of peas this year only to watch the aphids practically destroy them. I kept thinking I'd find something to spray on them to kill the bugs, but really didn't want to go there. Now, a few weeks later, there are tons of ladybugs in the pea patch, filling their tummies up with aphids. The peas are pretty much gone, but it's okay. I feel good having had the patience to let Mother Nature get up to speed. I'll just plant more peas and wait a little longer for the harvest.

Zone 5 or 7, I forget.
hu.gif

I grow:

dandelions
prickly weeds
onion grass
mint
whatsdat
dandelions

I have four house plants that survive inspite of me for over 15 years. Hello, my name is Denise and I am a chickenaholic with a purple thumb.
lau.gif

Last edited:
herbs: oregano, lemongrass, lavendar, cilantro, basil, thyme, tarragon, mexican marigolds

vegies: corn, zukes, cukes, tomatoes, peppers (several varieties), carrots, spinach, radishes, pumpkins, peas, pole beans

various landscaping plants and grasses.....lots and lots of different oaks....sunflowers....jasmine, honeysuckle, many bulb flowers.....

also, lots of dandelions in the back property, sticky weed, several choking vines...hahaha we just bought the house 4 months ago and are in the process of clearing out the back property of all this...lots of work..
wink.png

Quote:
LOL!! We love it. Yurts are really cool too, if we ever move from this area, we're thinking of getting one of those too.
The only thing about the dome is, you really can't get away from the fact you need to put up this bubble wrappy kind of insulation in it. Otherwise, very similarly to a regular tent, it gets too hot, or too cold.
I don't think yurts have that issue.

Quote:
That's good advice. Unfortunately, right now I really don't have the room to plant in ground. We are thinking of dismantling our above ground pool however and if we do, we'd have plenty of room there.
If we do, I'll definitely try again.
smile.png

So far 4 rows of corn, 1 row of tomatoes and peppers, 4 rows of red potatoes, 1 row of lima beans. Soon to go in watermellon, cantolope, and cream 40 peas.
wee.gif

Weeds!!! My garden grows great weeds.
big_smile.png
Chickweed, plantain, garnet weed, naturalized violets, dandelions, etc.

What I plant:
radishes, lettuces, carrots, kale, beets, peas, collards, broccoli, cabbage, potatoes, corn, green beans, pole butterbeans, yellow squash, zucchini squash, pumpkins, cantaloupe, cucumbers, heirloom tomatoes, onions, okra, peppers, and strawberries. And various herbs in pots. This year, I added leeks and Aunt Molly's ground cherry. Oops, I forgot to list zinnias, strawflowers, and bachelor buttons for cutting flowers.

I use non-GMO varieties. My butterbean seed has been passed down through 3 generations of my DH's family, maybe more. I've been pestering my FIL and DH to name this seed so I can send it to Seed Savers or Seeds of Change and South Carolina Foundation Seed Association.

I'm in zone 6, northeast TN mountains.
Stephanie

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow! How neat! Hurry and get it named- I'd love to try some butterbeans in the garden. And an old variety like that would be great to have. Lucky You!!

Quote:
Me too! That is so cool! I think those passed-down-thru-the-generations seeds are the best! My gg-grandma and her husband developed different strains of tomatoes in their greenhouse in Illinois but my cousins who still live there say no one continued it after their deaths in the 1950s. I would LOVE to have some of those in my garden. I would feel honored to have the fruits of something so tenderly cared for by generations. You're so lucky!

Back
Top Bottom