What do you guys think of these colts? Pics on page 3,6,7,8 & 12

There is a boiler on the premises & I can bring water from work so if the warm water appears to not harm him, I'll do one of the two & sponge him. They only wash with water not soap, so I couldn't use the oil argument with them. I didn't ride tonight as it was my day off & I was in Jerusalem shopping for my chickens.

IF you have access to electricity, this is what I use:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...ers/api-742g-bucket-heater-1000-watts-2170534

because I do not have a hot water tank at the barn. What I do is fill a big white bucket, set this heater into it and plug it in. By the time I have finished my ride, I have warm water. It's not boiling or anything, but it is nice and warm to sponge a sweaty back in cold weather. I also use it in cold weather to heat the water for my weekly feed of hot bran mash. You'd probably need an adapter, since it is AC, but it does work fine. I've used mine for about 5 years now, so they do last.

HTH

Rusty

Cool. I use something like that to heat up the calves milk at work. I could just boil a kettle at the stables come to think of it so we will try this tomorrow.

It looks like in the picture, you have your saddle way back and your weight way back on his kidneys. That's probably what is making his back sore. You have long legs and he has a short back...plus where the saddle is placed(too far back).

Last edited:
Sorry WC I don't follow you in what you are trying to say, however I do agree that she has LONG legs ( and knees sticking out a bit, probably due to the hunter's padded flaps OR need to let down a notch or two from the stirrups) LOL! I know that the pommel should be top of withers but again I don't think she got a proper saddle for him yet. More like a "borrowed" saddle.

Quote:
I went and looked again, the saddle looks like its about 4 inchs too far back on his back. its either placement or more likely poor fit for both the horse and rider. place the saddle pad and saddle way forward of where it needs to be, very close to the neck and slide it down into position. WC is correct, you are sitting on his kidneys rather then over his center of gravity, hes going to end up sore no matter what .

I didn't get to ride today because the stable owner was at a show & forgot to leave me the tackroom key. I put the saddle on correctly so I assume it was the bad fit that made it look too far back. I always ride short if I'm on something that's only going to have 1 foot or less on the ground which is why my knees are sticking out. That & the bad saddle.

So I got to the stables tonight to find the manager pulling off shoes cause funds are tight & he doesn't want anyone shod who isn't in hard work. He asked me what I want to do about Boggie & I said that either way, he should be barefoot cause if I take him, I'd like to try him barefoot & if I don't, the owner will want him that way. So I took off his shoes & either I'll have the farrier trim him on Tuesday or I'll do it myself as I studied it as part of my Equine Science studies. I probably wont have the time though as I'll be working 12 hour days most of this week so I guess I'll give a kidney to the farrier. No riding anyway until he's trimmed. At a glance, the bar on one side is compressed, the hoof is concave & higher on one side than the other & the heels are contracted.

Just watch out for abscesses. He'll probably end up with a couple now that his shoes are off. They can be pretty painful and sometimes they require care by a farrier. My horse had some major issues with them when we took off her shoes one year. It got so bad that we just put her shoes back on. Poor thing was miserable!

Back
Top Bottom