What do you guys think of these colts? Pics on page 3,6,7,8 & 12

OK, so the farrier was here today. He's a very good one (I was surprised, I'm fussy). He knew his stuff & had a mini forge so he did hot shoeing. He recommended at least front shoes (so that's what we did) as the colt was left barefoot when backing started & had to be shod quickly then because of too much wear. He was good with the farrier-don't know if the farrier would agree but if my 2 year old doesn't kick or bite the guy, I'm happy. I rode him a few hours later for 20 minutes & he went very nicely. I didn't wash him after & his back was fine.

How was he when you rode him? Shoeing, especially the hot shoeing, always makes my horses really tender for a few days.

Front shoes sounds good. We've always had shoes on our horses, but the baby and the newer mare we have are currently barefoot. My dad has already decided we will do front shoes when we begin training the baby and when we bring the mare on the trails. Some of the trail footing is really harsh, so we may need to go with shoes on all four but we'll see when we get to that point. Sometimes its all about trial and error. Unfortunately, it is much more difficult to go from shoes to barefoot than it is to go barefoot to shoes!

BTW, I think you will see a change in him once you find a proper fitting saddle. That was the worst part about trying out horses. The horse owner's saddles didn't always fit us (Or they were a hundred years old. Not to mention I HATE riding in other people's saddles) or our saddles didn't fit the horse.

As to the flinching with cold water. I think that's just it. I'd flinch too if I had been warm and possibly sweating under the saddle from working and then hit suddenly with cold water. When I have no other choice than to wash with cold water, I usually get the same reaction. I try to start with the legs because they don't seem to mind cold water on the legs as much as they do on their bodies. However, a good curry comb over the sweaty parts is usually enough.

Last edited:
So did you buy him?? I would think a TWH would be a great horse to have and ride..
I am partial though, I have a half TWH/Mtn Pleasure horse- a Kentucky mtn (gaited).
Good to know he is doing well.

Yeah, I bought him & on very good terms. I don't like riding TWHs because here the people are like
ep.gif
OMG, your horse is
th.gif
PACING
th.gif
Quick, stop it.
hide.gif

I want to have fun while I'm riding, not make sure that my horse doesn't do certain gaits. It totally put me off. However, I don't mind breaking horses for friends. This filly took me about half an hour from passably halter trained to riding her alone tacked up in the round pen, stopping, turning & going forward. She was a menace when she came in & did some damage to the owner when they halter trained her but she was very sweet with me.

I like TWH! Natural gaited LOL!

How in the world the other side of the world get QH and TWH horses? Is there an exporter that buys horses cheap in USA and import in your country?

Not cheap horses, very expensive horses. TWHs, QHs & arabians are very popular here & the rich like to import them as personal riding horses.
Then they breed them & sell the foals for normal horse prices. This filly I broke is by an imported American spotted TWH out a mare with imported parents. My horse is by an imported American reining stallion out of a mare by a German reining stallion.

Back
Top Bottom