What do you love about chickens?

oh if our husbands got together we'd be in Trouble! We'd be off to the funny farm! With our hens! 🤣 we've been together 35 years and have had chickens for 3yrs this spring. He thinks I will lose interest some, maybe after some time passes, but so far, these hens have my heart! If he ever voices frustration, i remind him, those girls have been giving you breakfast every single morning since they could! You should be thanking them. All that beautiful nutrition from happy, healthy hens! Oh he changes his tune so fast the next thing that happens is him coming outside with a treat (which he ALWAYs checks with me first). Its cute, him holding some cantaloupe, 'can I give them this babe'? If I say yes, he'll stand there calling each one like he would a kitty or puppy. Sometimes they run up to him and they'll stare at him usually waiting for him to drop the darn treat so they can take it. I think he is still waiting for them to start purring, or rubbing up against him to show appreciation. The best is when i hold a hen and go up to him and say, pet her! Go ahead, dont be shy! He touches them the way he would touch a baby bird, 🤣 Its so funny to me, b/c I used to do the same until I learned how seriously tough hens are. Dig those fingers into those feathers babe, your not gonna hurt her, Trust me!! They seem all fragile, but we know better! These gals are SO strong. Their smacks have brought sense to me a couple times! Hubs does it all tho, built the coop, repairs, upgrades, cameras, another hen house, more fencing. He thinks if he keeps upgrading and protecting that I may not spend so much time with them. I may need to tell him the real reason I spend so much time with them is not in fact because they are unsafe.....instead, its because they are my best friends! But for now, I will let him believe that we do need to bird net the ENTIRE yard.......How many posts do we need babe??
Your man is a real treasure! Bird net the ENTIRE yard - WOW!!! 😂 So cute that he asks about "okay treats" to give them. And yes -- the feathers, the fluff! I love it so much!

My hubby isn't interested in touching or feeding treats to the girls but gets a kick out of their antics, as in "Your pet dinosaurs were doing THIS today!" He was glad I'd told him how they'll sprawl awkwardly while sunbathing, because the first time he saw one doing that, "I would've come to get you, saying I think one of your chickens is dead!"

And he loves egg salad and deviled eggs and custards, so... 🥰

Your man is a real treasure! Bird net the ENTIRE yard - WOW!!! 😂 So cute that he asks about "okay treats" to give them. And yes -- the feathers, the fluff! I love it so much!

My hubby isn't interested in touching or feeding treats to the girls but gets a kick out of their antics, as in "Your pet dinosaurs were doing THIS today!" He was glad I'd told him how they'll sprawl awkwardly while sunbathing, because the first time he saw one doing that, "I would've come to get you, saying I think one of your chickens is dead!"

And he loves egg salad and deviled eggs and custards, so... 🥰
🥰The first time I witnessed a hen sunbathe was when my brooded babies were outside for the first time. I honestly thought the sun was too bright or hot or something 😳 I bolted inside to get fresh water not knowing what to do! The first time a dust bathe happened was what really got me tho! My hen is having a seizure I was certain. What is wrong with her? 🤣 This spring they'll be 3yrs and the amount of things I've learned is amazing. Each year I learn how resilient these hens truly are. I live on the side of a mountain in a valley and these gals are clever. I think my next flock will be some jungle fowl that can thrive better in my environment. Super fast, flighty by nature are great skills to have here! One of my GLw's is like 7 pds and will only run if I have her favorite treat. When a monster comes (hawks), shes always the last one, meandering her way to the flock like impending doom is not right above her head! Oh I love it all. Gotta go its 6:30 and the gals wanna go for their morning walk around the house 🥰🤣🐓❤️

🥰The first time I witnessed a hen sunbathe was when my brooded babies were outside for the first time. I honestly thought the sun was too bright or hot or something 😳 I bolted inside to get fresh water not knowing what to do! The first time a dust bathe happened was what really got me tho! My hen is having a seizure I was certain. What is wrong with her? 🤣 This spring they'll be 3yrs and the amount of things I've learned is amazing. Each year I learn how resilient these hens truly are. I live on the side of a mountain in a valley and these gals are clever. I think my next flock will be some jungle fowl that can thrive better in my environment. Super fast, flighty by nature are great skills to have here! One of my GLw's is like 7 pds and will only run if I have her favorite treat. When a monster comes (hawks), shes always the last one, meandering her way to the flock like impending doom is not right above her head! Oh I love it all. Gotta go its 6:30 and the gals wanna go for their morning walk around the house 🥰🤣🐓❤️
Oh, btw, i was being sarcastic about the entire yard being bird netted.....kinda....we live on 12 acres most of it is the woods, so the tree coverage is great. We're building a second coop and with our garden all close by, we will bird net that entire thing some day! With the cost of things, it may be never, but there are always the jungle fowl. They can live in the woods and come home to roost and sleep if they want. 😂

We've only been chicken-keeping for a year, and I am shocked how much I love and adore these birds.

So what do you love about chickens (and other barnyard fowl)? What about keeping them brings you joy?

I love seeing all of their personalities come out. They are such funny, quirky creatures. And I just love to watch them do chicken things. Their fluffy butts up in the air when they scratch in the yard is one of my favorites. It's just so relaxing to watch. Whenever I'm feeling low, my husband sends me out for chicken time, and I start to feel better. I swear, they're fluffy, feathered magic. It makes all the money and work well worth it.
I love how they can live in close quarters and yet work out "issues" with one another and for the most part live in some semblance of harmony wirh one another! (Humans could take a lesson!)

I also love:
their individual personalities; how mothers care for their chicks; how my chickens show such enthusiasm over a treat I bring to them!

I also love how roos share their food first with their hens. That is so sweet.

Chickens are like 2 yr old kids, they play, they squabble and fight, make up, sleep, snuggle, steal each other food (and there seem to be no consequences if a chick or youngster does this), and they are shockingly smart.

I call them velociraptors, we have a lot of birds species here and the only other birds as smart or likely smarter are Ravens, Crows and Blue Jays. All are opportunistic, and will plan things out. I have watched my Chooks secretly observing another chook and when that chook catches a bug, the other will quick as a flash steal it.

Chickens are just so darn nosey, and love company, and really like me singing to them 😊

I like is nice bird, can be friend long time! I apologize for my english.

Attachments

• MV5BZWMzOTM2ZTYtMzE0MC00ZTk5LWJkMTgtMmVlMmNhMWY1YzYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjgwNTA5ODI@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BZWMzOTM2ZTYtMzE0MC00ZTk5LWJkMTgtMmVlMmNhMWY1YzYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjgwNTA5ODI@._V1_.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom