What do you make? Handcrafted / Handmade / Made with Love

Do any embroidery or quilting crafters happen to know how to go about restoring older embroidery pieces?
This pillow was made by my grandmother, but we noticed that the original material is beginning to tear and has discolored. 😟 Any help would be appreciated!
20210115_123627.jpg

Do any embroidery or quilting crafters happen to know how to go about restoring older embroidery pieces?
This pillow was made by my grandmother, but we noticed that the original material is beginning to tear and has discolored. 😟 Any help would be appreciated!
View attachment 2491193
I am so sorry. These possessions are priceless.
The only idea I had was to take the stuffing out and put this in a frame or a shadow box. I personally would debate and debate about putting this in a frame because you don't have the same cuddling moments but that is so priceless and lovely.
I hope others have an idea!

View attachment 2491193

It's beautiful! When fabric becomes really thin like that the only way I know to fix them is to patch or apply something to the back to help stabilize it.

Maybe you could get some help or ideas from a museum. They have fabric pieces that need preservation. Ask for information or a reference to a conservator. A professional conservator might be expensive, however.

I am so sorry. These possessions are priceless.
The only idea I had was to take the stuffing out and put this in a frame or a shadow box. I personally would debate and debate about putting this in a frame because you don't have the same cuddling moments but that is so priceless and lovely.
I hope others have an idea!
It's beautiful! When fabric becomes really thin like that the only way I know to fix them is to patch or apply something to the back to help stabilize it.
Thank you! Yes, I know she worked hard on all of that embroidery with more skill for it than I have! It would be great to restore the fabric's original color and get the holes closed before framing it. I've heard of restoration for wedding dresses, but not sure if the fabric on this pillow can stand up to much!

Back
Top Bottom