What do you name your chicken(s)?...

When we first decided to get chickens, we were only getting a few for laying and I had picked out the cutest names!

Well I ended up with 20 chickens so no one got a name. However, one of my Barred Rocks is a very friendly and inquisitive girl, loves being pet and held and is always there to greet you so she got a name and a reprieve from the freezer!

Lucy is our Barred Rock

If anyone else starts being nice... they too might be spared :)

I have as of now three gamefowl mixes, thier names are Jellybean(my roo), Natalie and Bob(shes a hen but that was her egg name so it stuck lol)!

I have six girls that are named after my mother, her three best friends, my mother-in-law and her mother.....some of the best hens I know!
Easter Egger - Sherry (my mom's name)
Buff Orpington - Annie (had blonde hair when she was younger)
Silver Laced Wyandotte - Peggy (always had grey hair)
Cuckoo Marans - Terry (salt/pepper hair just like her namesake)
Golden Campine - Krissy (my MIL)
Dominique - Joanne (my G-MIL)
D.gif

Our kids named all of our chicks when we bought them, before we knew if we had hens or roos.

RIR Roo named Striper because he had the most pronounced chipmunk stripes as a chick.
RIR #1 is Scarlowey
RIR #2 is Igor (name changed from Princess Freak Out after a sudden genetic disfigurement took place)
Barred Rock #1 is Shadow
Barred Rock #2 is Phantom
Golden Comet #1 is Blondie (yes the singer!)
Golden Comet #2 is Jack Black (
hu.gif
)
Golden Comet #3 is Candy Corn
And last but not least is our one and only dark brahma bantam hen named Spud.

All of our animals get names. Beef cows, lambs hogs, everything. My kids know we eat 90% of our animals. They were raised that way. But I have to say we have a white cochins that is not a chicken, so he thinks. He will not stay with the other cochin hens we have a blue, black, and one color is in between the blue and black. His name is buster. He wants to sit on your shoulder and go with you. He has even gone to the corner store with us riding on my shoulder while I drive. It is only 1/2 mile but still he wats to be with people not birds. He even walks around our house and uses the litter box. He is special and will never go anywhere.

We have too many to name so we name just our favorites.

Chicken salad and Chicken soup are some of the names we come up with
tongue.png
The pigs get named Bacon and stuff like that...Most every bird here will be eaten at some point but we name them anyway and it has never been a problem. My children are raised to understand living off the land and to feed yourself and not depend on anyone else so it doesn't bother my kids at all to name food birds.

Priscillia is my favorite hen.
Big Daddy is our dominate roo and the nursery dad.
Cupcake who we just realized is Mr. Cupcake
Copper
Betty
Ruby

That is all I can think of right now, I am sure a couple more have names.

Back
Top Bottom