What do you prefer and why, Crochet vs knitting?

I am teaching myself to knit right now. It is amazing what you can learn by watching youtube videos!! I am attempting to make a stocking cap for my DH. We will see how that goes... I also want to try crocheting once I get the knitting down pat!!

I do both now. I learned to crochet when I was 14, and made a ton of afghans, a few sweaters, and then my Mom made me a pair of handknitted socks...I fell in love with them...I had to have more socks. I begged her to make me a second pair (I bought the wool) and she said I had to learn to make them myself, so I did learn at age 35....I have been knitting socks ever since. And mittens and some fingerless gloves...I love knitting in the round with 4 double pointed needles. Next i am going to try gauntlets or long arm warmers with a lace pattern, something pretty for under a wool jacket.
big_smile.png

Crochet is faster, but is very twisty on my wrists.
Knitting uses less wool per square inch.
Both are nice, but I like them for different reasons and different projects.

Quote:
I know this thread is old, but I had to respond anyway. Don't worry about finding someone to teach a "left handed person how to knit". I teach knitting. And I'm left handed. I crochet left handed too. When I teach, I don't tell my students how they should hold the yarn or what hand they should hold it in; each person is different. I end up with a few more holding the yarn in their left hand than in their right, while I hold the yarn in my right hand--exactly the same as I do when I crochet--because that's the most comfortable for me.

It's not like crochet where you do it backwards if you're left handed; you do knitting the same way as a right hander does.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you learn when you want to. There are a lot of on-line resources where they show you videos that are very good to teach you.

Susan, Denver

Hey Susan, too bad you are not closer. I am looking for knitting and crochet instructors for my yarn shop!
smile.png

I started with knitting, but kept getting my stitches so tight I couldn't get the needle in. Then my mom taught me to crochet and I learned the tension tricks.

Now I am back to knitting. I have created a pattern for a face cloth/ soap bag combo that is for sale in my Etsy shop.

My next goal is to learn cables and make a sweater!

I've said that my first love is crocheting, but I'm now going to have to learn how to knit. I just learned how to spin wool, is that fun, and a lot easier then I thought it would be.

Quote:
Cables are super easy!!! You just follow the definition for the cable you're doing. What's hardest for me is that you have to keep track of the rows well (or count them a lot) or you get the cable crosses unevenly spaced.
smile.png

Glad your shop is doing well (or else you wouldn't need instructors)
smile.png
It's a hard economy for specialty stores.

Susan

My dear grandma taught me to knit but I didn't carry it on. I was about eight years old.

I still don't know how to knit or crochet but I do lace bobbins in a very simple manner, nothing fancy. I don't do fancy lacework.

I do some knitting spool work to make cotton ropes or strings.

I would love to knit again or try some crochet but I figured I am too old to learn...46 years old.

Crocheted all of my life and recently decided I would MASTER knitting. Had to stop chrocheting throughout the year because of carpal tunnel. Knitting is much easier on my hands.

Back
Top Bottom