What do you use in your nesting boxes???

Quote:
Joe, I am jealous. I want to be spoiled,,um, pampered, like your wife. For my coop, my husband wanted to slap six pieces of plywood together and call it a coop. The only way I got the coop I did, is because I started building it all by myself and went out and purchased everything I needed. he complained the whole time-and told me his granny's chickens survived just fine with a make-shift coop.

Yep, I keep telling her that she's the luckiest woman in the world; however, she says... mmmmm... never mind.

Quote:
Joe, I am jealous. I want to be spoiled,,um, pampered, like your wife. For my coop, my husband wanted to slap six pieces of plywood together and call it a coop. The only way I got the coop I did, is because I started building it all by myself and went out and purchased everything I needed. he complained the whole time-and told me his granny's chickens survived just fine with a make-shift coop.

Hahahaha that is exactly what I got for a coop...plywood slapped together. I was lucky to get my boxes though. My next coop will be exactly what I want...not what HE wants
tongue.png

For my nest box, I use what my paper shredder gives me. There's a constant supply, and when I clean out the box, I just put the whole mess in the compost bin, where the paper shreddings would have ended up anyway. The carbon from the paper helps offset the heavy nitrogen content of the kitchen scraps in the compost.

My nest box is 2 feet off the coop floor and too high for my hen with clipped wings to get to! So she lays on the floor (also covered with paper shreddings) and my other two lay in the box. I'd like all three of them to lay in the box, so maybe I'll have to make a ramp for clipped-wing to walk up, to get into the nest box.

I use shavings. For cleaning them out, I use a small dustpan and scoop out the shavings. This works very well. Very easy.......actually my children do it.

The first row of my nesting boxes are about 4 inches off the ground. The second row is probably 15-18 inches off the ground. While my chickens has established their favorite "box", all of my nesting boxes are used each day. I have 32 hens in my flock and have 12 nesting boxes.

Hope this helps!!!

I have 3 milk crates that sit on the floor of the coop. I lined the bottom and about half way up the sides with cardboard and fill halfway with shavings. I have only ever gotten one egg not in a nest box.

I have 8 nesting boxes ( which I will be adding alot more . We now have close to 100 head of chickens .

Nesting boxes are flat on the coop floor with pine shavings inside and the coop floor is all pine shavings as well ... Very easy to clean , nothing sticks to the floor , just sweep out .
Actually NO POOP in the nesting boxes at all , roosting area is completely on opposite side of the coop with pine shavings beneath .

We have these black milk crates for nesting boxes NOW , and hubby picked up 8 doubles ........ PICTURE BELOW . Trust me ,at the rate we are adding more and more to the flock we will need them . LOL

9529_black_milk_crate.jpg

Back
Top Bottom