What do YOU use to collect your eggs?

I have a friend that made me one of the cute egg gathering aprons and I love it. However, my husband uses a basket if he's gathering eggs. He isn't a fan of the apron. ;-)

My best idea is the colorful WIRE baskets the Dollar Store sells.. $1 each, I have a dozen of them. If I forget, I have plenty in the coop, and my husband or someone else may collect the eggs.. I have found the baskets in the fridge with eggs, as my husband doesn't wash them so he leaves them for me to wash and then carton, but really, you can leave them in a basket and use them if you want! So I always have plenty in the coop, I can grab one to collect veggies, store my onions....I use them for a lot and so having a dozen or so is great, as like I said, I may not get them right back to the coop so there are always spares. Eventually I get them stacked back up in the coop.

$1 each people, really!! They come in all colors!! The Dollar Store, you can't beat the value. There is usually some in my entry waiting to get put back so here is a pic of the purple one. Perfect egg baskets!
jumpy.gif

My best idea is the colorful WIRE baskets the Dollar Store sells.. $1 each, I have a dozen of them. If I forget, I have plenty in the coop, and my husband or someone else may collect the eggs.. I have found the baskets in the fridge with eggs, as my husband doesn't wash them so he leaves them for me to wash and then carton, but really, you can leave them in a basket and use them if you want! So I always have plenty in the coop, I can grab one to collect veggies, store my onions....I use them for a lot and so having a dozen or so is great, as like I said, I may not get them right back to the coop so there are always spares. Eventually I get them stacked back up in the coop.

$1 each people, really!! They come in all colors!! The Dollar Store, you can't beat the value. There is usually some in my entry waiting to get put back so here is a pic of the purple one. Perfect egg baskets!
jumpy.gif
And they stack very nicely. If temp is below freezing, I line a basket with a towel, or just use my pocket. Such a shame it would be for that egg to reach the final bit of temp drop and crack on the way in from the nest!!!

Last edited:
I only have 5 hens, so after I bring my eggs into the house, they go in a hanging basket. Once I have a dozen, they go into the fridge in my acrylic cartons. If I have extras, they sell (sometimes TOO fast!) but the buyer provides their own container.

Yeah, I made a pocket omelet once - four eggs in a fleece lined hoodie! That was when I was new to chickens, now I won't even think about putting an egg in a pocket!

Still no one using an egg carton or tray...:caf

Egg cartons for me. People bring me egg cartons. Most times I have no idea where they come from. I find bags of empty egg cartons next to the layer yard gate, on the front porch, on the swing by the chicken yards, etc... I have so many empty egg cartons - it's crazy... I've also found feeders and waterers that someone brought me on the swing by the layer yard - I still have no idea who dropped them off... I even found a $20.00 bill tacked to the layer yard gate last year and someone added a hen to the flock. Still have no idea how I gained a hen but I assume someone just put it in layer yard.

Last edited:

The basket holding the eggs is what I use now, thanks to my sister in law buying me a new basket. The one on the right is the very old antique basket I used for years but if you look closer you can see why I had to stop using it. It belonged to a friends grand mother who used it for an egg basket.
And just for looks that is an antique egg carton the fresh eggs are sitting on. I would have opened it and put some eggs in it for display, but it is like a jigsaw puzzle to open.

Last edited:
Egg collecting in our house is done by the kids. Since we only have 4 older hens, we average 2 eggs a day. Each kid gets an egg and a sense of helping out. Rain or shine, they love walking out to the coop and getting the eggs!!

We have 6 chicks currently in the brooder though, so we will revisit techniques once they start producing!

jumpy.gif

Awesome idea! I'm going to look for these soon! Thanks!

Here is what I use. I found it at a thrift store. I thought it was for eggs, but my hubby said it was a golf ball basket. He was right, this is pic from the web, but mine is the same.

iu

Back
Top Bottom