What Do Your Chickens Complain About?

lbgreenfield

Songster
Jul 19, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Hi there everyone! It's a rainy day here in Pittsburgh, and as I left for work this morning, my chickens were complaining LOUDLY about how the rain put a complete damper on their "big" plans for the day :p So I thought it'd be funny to see what other things your chickens "complain" about! Here are a few other things my flock complains about:
  1. When it's raining/snowing or basically any weather other than sunny puts them in a "bad" mood (haha)
  2. When I won't let them out of their run to free range (usually because of hawks, but darn it, they want out!!!!!)
  3. When I'm eating food and won't share with them, they get especially grumpy if I won't share pancakes with them
  4. When they peck at me to be picked up and held, but I don't (usually also results in the stink eye)
In general, they just complain all the time about how hard their life is, how "malnourished" they are, how they live in "absolutely horrendous" living conditions - all of which are completely not true, they are the most spoiled chickens EVER! :D

What are some funny things your chickens/flock complain about?

My little Sebright, Moonshine, is very opinionated and outspoken. If I don't bring her a treat, she complains loudly and then puts on this face, trying to make me feel guilty....
moonshineaugust.jpg

My favorite chicken Marge complains all the time about everything. As soon as I come over she runs to me and complains about how her sisters are annoying, complains if I don’t have any lettuce for her, complains if I don’t let her out first, complains if I didn’t give her any meal worms. She’s so funny I love her so much. Theres not actually not much she doesn’t complain about. Pretty sure she was mid complain in the second photo :lol:

Attachments

• 3965754D-BBC2-466D-8B54-FBE6E769B511.jpeg
    3965754D-BBC2-466D-8B54-FBE6E769B511.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2E4B735C-8D6F-45AF-821B-6E4D297C7685.jpeg
    2E4B735C-8D6F-45AF-821B-6E4D297C7685.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 15
Fun thread!

I'm not sure if these would be considered complaints, as they are more in the line of "requests" which are communicated by the chicken to the human via the combined use of body language (mainly stepping around) and brief, one-eyed stares. Occasional opinions (or complaints) are voiced, but usually only amongst themselves.

Some of their unspoken requests as follows:
  • A wet tree stump in their run to provide an additional crowing perch and perhaps some tasty bugs
  • A new bag of cheese, preferably the larger shreds, mozzarella is best
  • Mealworm cakes available for purchase from only one store in town
  • Additional scoops of sand added to their dust bath because it is getting low from kicking most of the sand out during overly-enthusiastic preceding dust bath sessions. The bag of sand weighs 50 pounds and I myself weigh in just over 110 pounds but, in their estimation, more sand is required sooner rather than later.
  • Daily walks around the garage should not be accompanied by any humans, dogs, or cats. They should have the immediate perimeter to themselves and be allowed to poop freely without being trailed by scary paper towels.
  • More mirrors, because two aren’t enough and there should be more chickens in the mirrors.
  • Activities involving white moths and the hunting thereof.
  • Practice of the common courtesy of removing human hands from the feeding area at all times.
  • A “do not disturb” sign for the coop door to restrict rude humans from peeking inside during private times such as nesting or sleeping
  • Large-curd cottage cheese (not small curd)
All I can do is my best to appease them:idunno

My Sapphire Gem, Poppy, complains loudly if I don't let her partake of my meals. Jumped from the deck railing right onto my arm to get at my peanut butter and jelly sandwich last week! I promptly shook her off, and then had to go inside to refill my drink because Poppy hadn't shaken herself off after a dust bath and thus got dirt in my water.
Lefty, the very handsome Mille-feuille D'Uccle cockerel, whines after I run him off as a reaction to his attacking my feet (I say "attacking," but really, he more skids right by them, all fluffed up).
And my cute little Brown Dutch Bantam cockerel, Zapraska, growls and screams at anything airborne, including an egg, but I don't know if that really qualifies as "complaining."
Honestly, all of my birds complain about one thing or another. The guinea fowl are especially loud about it.

Back
Top Bottom