What does this mean? Hen making weird sound.

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I have a 1 yr old BO hen who has something going on which has me concerned. She walks, eats, drinks, and holds her head completely normal. She grooms herself just fine too. But randomly she will elongate and twist her head at this weird angle and let out a long, plaintive cry... She is not clucking or making any other normal chicken sounds. This has been going on for at least a month, likely longer. It took me a while to figure out which chicken was doing it.

Anyone know what this is and what to do for it?

Do you have more hens with her? Do you have a rooster? I once had a hen (also a Barred Rock) who started ‘crowing’ because she was the only hen. I also read that when hens are in a group of all girls, one will sometimes take the rooster role and start crowing (or the best crow they can manage). Maybe she’s trying to crow?

Do you have more hens with her? Do you have a rooster? I once had a hen (also a Barred Rock) who started ‘crowing’ because she was the only hen. I also read that when hens are in a group of all girls, one will sometimes take the rooster role and start crowing (or the best crow they can manage). Maybe she’s trying to crow?

Oh no, she is part of a sizeable flock. I have at least 5 roosters and 40+ hens.

Back
Top Bottom