What food do you feed your dog?

Victor High Pro Plus. I get it at our feed store, or at TSC in a pinch.

When we brought Gypsy home from the shelter, I started with a high-end grain free dry food. She had constant problems with diarrhea. Experimented, switched 'em up, tried probiotics, meds, all kinds of things.

Turns out she's allergic to legumes--took us MONTHS to figure this out. Vet visits with prescriptions? Give the pills with peanut butter, sure! Except peanuts are legumes. And all the grain free dog foods use peas, garbanzo beans, and soy to make up for the grains, I guess.

Stumbled on to Victor High Pro at the pet store (was still vainly searching) and bingo. Her belly has been calm, her elimination normal and healthy, and her coat/breath are lovely. We seldom bathe her--she was abused and is mortally afraid of water--but she has no smell, even if you bury your nose right down to the skin.

Victor_5lb_WEB_HI-PRO.png

What about a fresh or air dried food? Its MUCH more expensive, but not to much pricier than an expensive kibble. Plus, you could always mix it with the kibble. Thats similar to what I do for my cats since I'm not up for doing raw all around. I give them and freeze dried organ meat supplement, freeze dried mushrooms, and pre and probiotics.
My cats eat AvoDerm and Call of the Wild, we switch between brands. Works really well for them.
He eats that sometimes, I like the stella and chewys stuff. Its expensive though, for what you get. I can buy 30 lbs of good quality dry, or 10 lbs of freeze dried food. I just buy freeze dried as treats. Specifically, pure bites

Royal Canin GI, with add ins like raw eggs, fruits, and veggies. I'd like to feed raw or partially raw but that wouldn't work for us right now.
yeah, deacon was on darwins but i kept forgetting to thaw it, or I wasn't home to feed him, etc. Working 40 hours a week, plus school, deacon is loose in the house, I train him at midnight before bed, and we both pass out. I train with his kibble and its just the easiest for me right now. Atleast for the next 2 months

On top of diamonds he gets fish oil and joint suppliments. As well as sometimes egg, and freeze dried liver. I feed half his kibble, mixed with freeze dried in my treat pouch, the rest is fed hydrated with bone broth and fish oil + suppliments

I don't have the money to get Finn meat or anything to add to his food and my parents don't want to, so I just use what's in the house

I don't have the money to get Finn meat or anything to add to his food and my parents don't want to, so I just use what's in the house
luckily I'm able to grab mix ins, but kibble is balanced and he doesn't need extras. obviously they have benefits, but its ok.

I don't do a bunch, the bone broth is optional, although it does have collagen so it is good for his joints. Water would be fine for hydration, fish oil because his skin gives him issues, and the joint suppliments because he's a very active, but 8 year old dog.

My dog got cancer on Kirkland Signature's food, so I try to give him food tailored for that issue. He used to eat Canine Caviar and Visionary Pet's keto which he did very well on, but I've had to cut the budget so now he eats Crave.

He eats that sometimes, I like the stella and chewys stuff. Its expensive though, for what you get. I can buy 30 lbs of good quality dry, or 10 lbs of freeze dried food. I just buy freeze dried as treats. Specifically, pure bites
Thats what I would do if I ever had to switch from raw. Same with @black_cat's method. I think that kibble is fine, just adding natural adding like veggies and things to give them some variety, and fresh nutrients is always a plus. :) Cool thread!

Back
Top Bottom