What food do you use for grown quail?

Apr 29, 2020
Casper, Wyoming
I have been looking everywhere and can't seem to find a good domestic quail feed for the adults. I know there is a game bird starter, is there game bird breeder? We also have pigeons and doves who wouldn't mind sharing feed with the quail if needed. What do you use for you quail? Game bird feed? Any suggestions are welcome.:)

Oh, another thing. Can they eat all flock? It has high protein and the people at the store suggested it. But I an new with quail and not sure.
New quail... From hatch to about 6 or 7 weeks of age really need to eat high protein feed. Think turkey starter or game bird feed at 28 to 30% protein.
At about 6 or 7 weeks of age I switch my quail to chicken layer crumbles at 16% protein and I have no problems.

If your local all flock feed is a crumble and it is at least 28% protein then I see no problem using it. (I have not yet seen it all flock feed this high in protein.)
If it is not then I highly recommend getting a turkey starter feed or a game bird feed.

Kiki, I will be getting my first quails, 4 females in about 6 weeks, (probably in the act right now.) 😀 They should be 6 weeks when shipped. My question is why buy 5lb feed or how much feed would 4 hens eat. They will be raised for eggs and to be honest, pets.?
Where I live it is cheaper to buy feed in a 50 lb bag compared to buying it in 5 or 10 lb bags.

I would buy one 50 lb bag of layer crumbles if I were you. Or a 25 pound bag If it is available in your area.

I have been looking everywhere and can't seem to find a good domestic quail feed for the adults. I know there is a game bird starter, is there game bird breeder? We also have pigeons and doves who wouldn't mind sharing feed with the quail if needed. What do you use for you quail? Game bird feed? Any suggestions are welcome.:)
I see there is both a Tractor Supply store and a Murdoch's store in your area.
You should have no problem getting good enough feeds at either one of these stores.

This is good:
Screenshot_20220110-181754.png

For adult quail I use 20% gamebird breeder from a local mill. Your 20% all flock is fine too if you supplement oyster shell. Don't use starter for adults, it's too much protein.

I buy Hudson feeds brand from chewy.com. The multiflock starter for turkeys, pheasants and quail is about $20 for 50 lbs and I use that from hatch to 8 weeks. Then I use the gamebird pellets from Hudson feeds for the rest of their lives. The gamebird feed is maybe $28 or so on auto ship. With chewy, if you order over $50, shipping is free, I take advantage and buy 2+ bags at once, and I have auto ship to save a bit more.

I see there is both a Tractor Supply store and a Murdoch's store in your area.
You should have no problem getting good enough feeds at either one of these stores.

This is good:
View attachment 2956315
Kiki, I will be getting my first quails, 4 females in about 6 weeks, (probably in the act right now.) 😀 They should be 6 weeks when shipped. My question is why buy 5lb feed or how much feed would 4 hens eat. They will be raised for eggs and to be honest, pets.?

I would guess that four quail would probably not even eat one full cup worth of feed per day.

Back
Top Bottom