What Gender is This? - Speckled Sussex

K_EP-I

Songster
Aug 6, 2019
Dover, Delaware
So a while ago I post my Australorp because I had a suspicion he was a cockerel. Up until today I thought I only had one. But then I looked closely at my SS and noticed their comb and waddle are pinker and the waddle is showing way more than my ISA, Orping., and Asian. They have the personality of a hen. Idk if that changes anything.
If it is a hen, what do you guys think I should do? Should I get more hens? Should I rehome one once they’re bigger? I honestly am stumped with this one :’( I’ll post pictures from day ~1 to week 4. The week 4 one is from 3 days ago so they changed some up until today.

Attachments

• 4ECBF02C-8C4B-426F-86FB-DA728AE8373B.jpeg
    4ECBF02C-8C4B-426F-86FB-DA728AE8373B.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DD9D2768-8FA8-4168-9461-2026A070B44F.jpeg
    DD9D2768-8FA8-4168-9461-2026A070B44F.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 18
Your SS is a cockerel, and who you keep, or rehome, just depends.
Is this your first flock? Do you have older (adult) hens or roosters too? How many birds total do you have?
Are roosters legal where you live?
If you have lots of experience with chickens, adult birds, space, and the ability to send a bad boy to the crock pot, then try them out and see how they mature.
If not, see if you can move them on now instead...
Mary

Your SS is a cockerel, and who you keep, or rehome, just depends.
Is this your first flock? Do you have older (adult) hens or roosters too? How many birds total do you have?
Are roosters legal where you live?
If you have lots of experience with chickens, adult birds, space, and the ability to send a bad boy to the crock pot, then try them out and see how they mature.
If not, see if you can move them on now instead...
Mary
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Ahh I really didn’t want it to be. I had a flock of 4 hens last Spring but they were killed sadly. I have 5 birds in total and they are all around the same age. Roosters are legal to have but I don’t want to push it and have 2 roosters and bug my neighbors. I gave thought to butchering because I dont know of anyone who would want to own roosters.

I love my SS hens, and have had very mixed experiences with the roosters. Very mixed. Some were charming, and some were total jerks.
Mary
Yeah he had me fooled because he was very mellow and had that hen stance unlike my other cockerel. I guess it’ll depend on their personalities at the end of the day :’)

Back
Top Bottom