What greens do you grow?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
As the fall is approaching in my area, one of the best things to plant are greens. My favorites are:
Lettuce
Swiss chard (tastes like a cross between beet greens and spinach, we mostly like to sautee it but the baby leaves are good in a salad, and it grows straight from spring to fall if you harvest the biggest leaves as they grow. Even had a deer eat it down to the nubs one year and the plants grew back strong a few weeks later!)
Arugula
Kale

I have grown collards but my family thought they were too bitter. There’s lots of Asian greens we have never tried. I planted curly endive this year for the first time.

Curious to know what greens you grow, and if they are on the less-common side, if you could give a brief description of taste and how to prepare would love to get some new ideas of what to plant!

I grow a ton of greens and eat some for lunch every day. Lacinato kale, collards, cabbage, swiss chard, spinach chard, mustard, various lettuces, kohrabi. Peas are double duty for me (I love the greens more than the actual peas). Asian greens include: arugula, komatsuna, chijimisai, chirimen, tatsoi.

These root veggies do double duty for greens and the root: radish, turnip, beets.

I really struggle with bok choy and spinach so don't see much point in growing them when they're otherwise readily available.

How do you use those greens? Cooked? In salads? I’m wanting to try new greens and get more of them into my diet this fall.
For the most part the greens I listed do well either sauteed or added to soup/stews, except lettuce of course (though my mom wasn't above boiling lettuce!) A few are fine in salads, especially as baby greens, but generally I cook them.

If there's a specific one or two you're curious about, as far as taste, I can make more detailed recommendations.

My weekday lunch is always a noodle bowl with ample chopped greens (I just throw them in to boil with the noodles) and a poached egg.

That sounds so good! What kind of noodles and how do you season them?
I get various instant ramen noodles or plain noodles (frozen or dried), and use about half an included seasoning packet per bowl (and I save the other half of packet for the next meal). Or alternatively sometimes I make my own broths based on online recipes (a healthier option as the seasoning pkts are loaded in sodium). I'll also add store-bought pickled vegetables sometimes as well, or leftover bits of meat, or tofu, or double up on poached eggs if we have a ton of eggs. Sort of like how people use leftovers to make sandwiches, my leftovers become ramen bowls. :)

Even with rising prices my lunch noodle bowls come in around $2 or less, and since I'm providing the fresh greens I can bulk it up as much as I want with veggies.

I love greens! I grow cabbage, kale, chard collards, hot mustard and various lettuce. Last year was a first with collards, I went to YouTube to learn how to cook them. DH calls it soup, but I think it’s called collards and pot liquor. :gigEither way you call it I think they’re delicious but yes, they are slightly bitter.
To counteract bitterness, add vinegar to the pot, and when eating them. Southern tip.

I just transplanted some bok choy and choy sum, which I seeded out in July. Have still growing, assorted kale (mostly for the chickens) and tried assorted chicory this year. Nothing eats it, makes beautiful leaves to line plates with, and bonus, the chickens will eat it. Planted snow peas in July as well, coming along well.

Back
Top Bottom