What Hatcheries? (Poll)

What Hatchery/Hatcheries Have You Bought From?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My local farm orders from Cackle and Meyers. I've received all healthy chicks and have lost none besides to predators in 5 years. I get them when they're usually a week old because the farm holds them to make sure theyre healthy enough to go to my house. I like ordering through the local farm because they take the stress off me finding dead chicks picking up at USPS, they always order extra so I never have to worry about losing the amount I ordered.

I've only ordered from cackle, and my local feed store sources from Cackle. I love cackles EE variety! And ive been happy with their stock so far. I can't speak for other hatcheries since I have no experience. I feel like cackle is also on the cheaper end vs other hatcheries. I should note that all my chicks arrived live and healthy too.

I am close enough to Cackle to go there and pick up mine. If you cannot drive to a hatchery, I would recommend ordering by mail from whoever is closest, to spare the chicks a long shipping time.

I’ve ordered from Meyer, but due to PO mishandling, all were dead. They refunded chick cost, but not shipping, so it still cost me money to receive dead chicks.

we picked up some chicks from the extra bin at Meyer when we dove through Cleveland after a trip to northern PA. 7 chicks purchased, supposed to be all female, but 2 were male. Sold all but 2. One is 15 months old and a healthy layer, one died a couple of months ago.

purchased chicks from another source, paid for Express shipping, and birds arrived quickly and were fine, although 3 (of 25) died within first week, but they sent 3 extra, so I had same number of chicks I ordered.

Ordered chicks and picked up in person from another local hatchery 4 times - all healthy.

overall, if you can pick up in person, that is best. Less stress on the chicks. Too much variability in USPS handling. But, recommend paying for express shipping if you are getting chicks shipped, if it’s in your budget.

i've bought from both hoovers and murray mcmurray.i am the most impressed with hoovers though because i got a a order and all but 3 were dead and they redid the WHOLE ORDER!! i was very impressed with their service.

I’ve ordered from Meyer, but due to PO mishandling, all were dead. They refunded chick cost, but not shipping, so it still cost me money to receive dead chicks.

we picked up some chicks from the extra bin at Meyer when we dove through Cleveland after a trip to northern PA. 7 chicks purchased, supposed to be all female, but 2 were male. Sold all but 2. One is 15 months old and a healthy layer, one died a couple of months ago.

purchased chicks from another source, paid for Express shipping, and birds arrived quickly and were fine, although 3 (of 25) died within first week, but they sent 3 extra, so I had same number of chicks I ordered.

Ordered chicks and picked up in person from another local hatchery 4 times - all healthy.

overall, if you can pick up in person, that is best. Less stress on the chicks. Too much variability in USPS handling. But, recommend paying for express shipping if you are getting chicks shipped, if it’s in your budget.
and they charged me no money either.

I totally buy from Meyer. I am lucky enough to be able to drive there in under an hour to pick up my chicks. They have an awesome store and are really helpful. I would worry about having the po handle live animals of any sort. Wish I had a better idea for you.

Back
Top Bottom