What have you repurposed while building ?

Pics
I just found this thread and will post here. After that, I will go back and read from the beginning. For my chicken coop and run, I am incorporating what used to be a bunk bed; any wood painted red is from that bed (in the background of this photo). For my chicken tractor (which I am currently calling my coop-ette) I repurposed a rabbit hutch - I raised it up and added a bottom enclosed in hardware cloth. The door was part of a screen door. The run used to be a dog exercise pen and for temporary shade for the run, I am using part of a trampoline.View attachment 1480745
I like what you've done there. Just a question...do the hens have access to a larger area to roam in?

I like what you've done there. Just a question...do the hens have access to a larger area to roam in?

Yes. They have 2 full 10x12 runs connected together with 2 coops on each side. Plenty of room for 14 chickens.

9B69406B-D5E4-4C41-BAF5-C18B80FE96E5.jpeg

You could use a solar powered fan. Or you could attach the plastic so that it can be completely opened at the top, and also raised up a foot or two on the sides as the weather warms up.
Never heard of such thing as a solar powered fan. I’ll have to look into that. Maybe something I just have to work with and test and play with to get it right. I know from reading post in the garden thread you have quite the greenhouse. I wish I could see pictures.Mine is only about 5 x 4But that’s all I need because plants in the summertime would never survive in the greenhouse in Virginia

Yes, I added an area enclosed with a 4-foot tall dog exercise area, temporary roof to keep out the rain, and the trampoline fabric to provide shade. They are quite comfortable. Whenever I get enough money I will complete the larger coop and run. It had to be finished before winter arrives.

anybody have ideas for a coop suitable for five chickens?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-chick-inn.73603/
This is a good coop. It doesn't have to be like this. Go to the home Page and click on the Search tab. Then put in recycled, if that's what you're interested in (only mention because you're here in this forum).
Or go to the Home page and click on the tab called Articles and then look to the right, maybe 1/2way down for the word Coops. They are broken down into large, medium, small and tractor. I think you want a medium.
PS Go here also: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas.1152110/#post-18037069
And finally :frow

Back
Top Bottom