What is a good breed of dog?

I would look into one of the Livestock Guardian Dog breeds, i.e. Great Pyrenees, Maremma, Akbash, Anatolian, etc. They can all be trained to guard your livestock and property from predators, both 2 legged and 4. In your case it sounds like it would be key to get a puppy and make sure it is raised with the animals that you want it to protect.

Last edited:
Putting in 2 more cents We worked with our dogs not to be random barkers when on the job. It can be done. Barking while playing with us and family time is great but not when out with the girls, barking only when they need to move the group.

Be careful when getting a livestock guardian dog, they can be great dogs, don't get me wrong. But they can be very headstrong also. A lady down the road raises them to sell - not Great Pyranese but some kind of "Italian" guardian breed. Anyhow, she gets a percentage of the pups back for rehoming because they are chicken and/or cat killers. Her dogs run over $1,000 each and are raised and trained for sheep guarding.

I am not saying husky's are bad or good dogs one of the best dogs I ever had was a husky/German Shepard mix. I have a husky now she is not allowed around the chickens with out someone with her. I think every dog is different. I am not 100% sure every dog in a breed will be the same, it depends on the dog. I would make sure that any dog you get you test and see how they do check their prey drive they need a certain prey drive to guard the animals but to much means that they see the chickens as chew toys. I use a word with mine "baby" and that is the key that they know that these animals are mine and are not to be harmed my beagle mix used to have a rabbit friend (RIP Storm) and they where best friends, Now outside a wild bunny was food. He knew the difference. I hope you can find the dog that works best for you and some times the best dogs are mutts. I have a few of those also. Good luck and please post pictures when you find your dog.

Quote:
I'll second that. My neighbor has a catahoula and I love that dog! Couldn't care less about my chickens, goats or cats but he runs off everything else including coyotes, he hates them! He runs loose but the only time he's on my property is when he's running after a predator. Good dog!

Quote:
It's probably Maremmas that she has. They are bred to be headstrong (most LGDs are) because they have to think on their own rather than relying on a human to give them directions. Their job is protection of "their flock". If the pup is raised with its flock (herd, whatever), they will protect that flock. Most LGDs will do just fine with birds as long as they are taught that the birds are part of their flock. Yes, it is hard as puppies because the pups see the birds as fun play toys but they quickly learn that it's not acceptable to hurt or harrass the birds. It's fairly easy to do as long as the dog sees the humans as the flock leaders. You still have to be alpha to LGDs just like any other dog.

Dog wise, the Great Pyrenees, the Border Collie, and the lab are good breeds to train as chicken dogs.
I have personally witnessed all three on large scale free range poultry farms.
AKC breeders that I have spoken to have all highly recommended the Great Pyrenees, and Lab.

I think a GP would be a fine choice, but make sure they are out of working lines that actually do the job they were intended for. And, you will still have to train them. I have a German Shepherd also. My training with him began the day after he came home with me. He was very submissive towards the chickens( they used to jump on his back and snuggle in for a warm nap), chicks, bantams breeds and other animals including my cat. He is my son's seizure alert dog - very smart. But, at about 7 months old his prey instinct kicked in. He began to "look" at the chickens in a way I did not approve of, and I know he would LOVE to eat some (any) of my rabbits. I could tell by his body language and how his focus changed and how intense he was about it that his prey instinct had "turned on". He was no longer "relaxed looking" around my farm animals. He is not allowed around my flock without supervision. I have never caught him killing anything but some moles and mice....but I do believe he would if he had the chance. He does patrol around my pens and coops keeping anything ELSE that would make a meal of my animals far far away. Once they are up for the night I let him out periodically to make his security rounds - he is still a valuable asset to the flock and the rabbit herd. I have no losses this year thanks to him. But, I do not trust him to control that part of HIMSELF without me there to reinforce the rules. He is not a "bad dog". He's a dog, and one that is part of our family; we could never replace him. He is an asset in many many ways and does the work he was "hired" to do. But, I know his limitations, and he is still very much a puppy who has lots more training to do, lol.

Other GSD's may and do differ. It depends on many factors, breeding and training are at the top of the list in my opinion. I thought I had it made when he was a few months old. My thinking was that if he didn't want to chase and play or wrangle the chickens as a pup, then surely as an adult he would also not be tempted. Not so!

1008101208-00.jpg

rhett.jpg
(not to be trusted now!!! LOL, well not around the chooks anyway)

like i said earlier GET A BEAGLE THEY WILL DO THE JOB OF KEEPING PREDATORS AWAY THERE CUTENESS WILL DRIVE THE PREDATORS MAD!!!! unless u get one of those stumpy brace ones

Back
Top Bottom