Pics
One of my Gems laid her first egg Friday at only 14 weeks. Sunday I got two more (one really tiny). And another one today. Two out of the first 3 were double yokes.

Attachments

• 0D41B4BA-537C-4F88-919C-E6AAA212A4DB.jpeg
    0D41B4BA-537C-4F88-919C-E6AAA212A4DB.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 49
  • E60F6D9C-DE80-4D8A-8A33-B44350232861.jpeg
    E60F6D9C-DE80-4D8A-8A33-B44350232861.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 96420BDD-135D-415B-9E0D-BC6D6E1A7DCD.jpeg
    96420BDD-135D-415B-9E0D-BC6D6E1A7DCD.jpeg
    549.6 KB · Views: 55
Alright my chicken peeps, hubby and I went to Rural King today mostly because I just wanted to. Anyway, they have baby chicks out year round now, and I can’t resist. Had to look. So they had a bin of “sapphire gem” and they are blue. We have looked and looked online and can’t find anything. What the heck is a sapphire gem chicken? Or do we just have some random blue chickens?
I just got 8 and 4 Olive eggers

How light? As in lighter grey or yellow/white? I ordered 10 females from TSC. 2 extras were thrown in. 2 are really dark, 8 are a variation of medium dark, and 2 are a lighter grey with less dark on the head. All have varying degrees of light markings or some degree of banding/spotting near the eyes. Any thoughts whether or not they slipped 2 roos in the bunch?

check the foot color, yellow without black is a rooster with these.

This does not match any of the three Roosters I purchased. One was a true barred (like a dominique), other 2 where blue with barring (the neck of one was a lavender barring very light, the other had a dark grey color neck with barring, both their bodies were blue like the hens.
Should of said this is how they are supposed to be.
The gems were created oversees and Hoover's supposedly bought stock from them to produce them here in the states.
IDK how honest that statement was. I'm more inclined to believe Hoover's tried to closely copy their recipe and IDK what happened but there's been a lot of variations in the chicks they're selling. They've got something screwed up in their breedings.

Should of said this is how they are supposed to be.
The gems were created oversees and Hoover's supposedly bought stock from them to produce them here in the states.
IDK how honest that statement was. I'm more inclined to believe Hoover's tried to closely copy their recipe and IDK what happened but there's been a lot of variations in the chicks they're selling. They've got something screwed up in their breedings.

Hoover's is now this year selling Andalusians so I believe they did use these to create the Sapphire Gems. I am breeding my SGs to a pure breed Barnevelder rooster I'll know by the middle of March how much Andalusian v/s Barred Rock is in them by the chicks. SGs seem to be very busy/active.

Back
Top Bottom