What is on my chicks BUTT

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by perkey6141, Jul 31, 2016.

1. perkey6141

perkey6141 New Egg

Jul 25, 2016
    pilot mountain nc
    I have heard of pasty butt and all of the pictures I have seen are no where near as much as this. Can anyone tell me if this is pasty butt, how to treat it and if it isn't pasty butt what is it?[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Try some probiotics to get the gut working like it should.

3. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma

4. Sandy80

Sandy80 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Agree with Stephine's reply. One of my chicks had a pasty butt episode when she was 2-3 weeks old. She seemed prone to it for a solid week. Once the poo was thoroughly removed that did the trick in terms of ongoing mess. You have to get it ALL off. ....the least little bit left remaining will continue to collect more and more. Good luck! P.S I think it is more stressful on us as the caregiver than on the chicks during the process of removal :)

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's pasty-butt, all right. Get a shallow dish of mild soapy warm water and hold the chick's butt in the water for a minute or two until the mess softens. It should liquify and you should be able to gently pull it off. Be careful not to scrub or you will inflame the very fragile vent, causing swelling. Smooth some coconut oil on the vent and surrounding down after you blow dry the chick.

I agree with the recommendation to add probiotics to the food. Mixing some Poultry Nutir-drench in the drinking water so it appears as weak tea will give all your chicks some very high quality nutrients to improve their digestion in addition to the probiotics.

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I very much agree with giving probotics. Ive ordered probios for poultry off line for some years now and i highly recommend it! You will SEE the difference in feces in less than 1 week.but MOST IMPORTANT CLEAR HER POOP BLOCKAGE! it can easily kill her if she is not able to relieve herself! Also make certain her blockage is NOT A PLUG INSIDR HER AS WELL.(Common). You can use a small amount of oil for lubrication on a q-tip if needed to clear any impacted stool . The Probios is excellent and i use it on chicks and Hens alike.. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. mcliff3

mcliff3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Massachusetts
    We had several chick's that had pasty button and started adding apple cider vinegar to their water and the problem cleared right up (thanks to this forum for the ACV tip!) I would gently clean the chick's bottom so the vent isn't obstructed and take a look at adding ACV to their water.

8. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

Use a wet paper towel and clean it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by