What is Rosie? (Or should it be Roger??)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LydiaNiz, Jun 28, 2010.

1. LydiaNiz

LydiaNiz Hatching

Jun 28, 2010
    Hello from Wales!
    We got our first chickens - 1 buff wyandotte (Clara), 1 gold laced Wyandotte (Boo) and mystery chicken!
    They are now approx 15 weeks, (although Rosie the mystery one may be 17 weeks).
    They have just started making proper 'hen' noises - lots of clucking, especially when my little boy takes them some meal worms for a treat!

Here are some pics, we are praying they are all girls (no crowing!) but what do you think? And what is she?
    Eta: rosie is definitely the boss! she also is tamest - allowing us to pick her up etc
    These pics were taken 3 weeks ago, so at approx 12-14 weeks old

Rosie in front here: [​IMG]
    Rosie on left: [​IMG]
    Rosie in front: [​IMG]
    Rosie on left: [​IMG]

Any help appreciated!
    Lydia

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Roger might be a Brahma cross with those feathered feet.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cock a doodle Roger Roo!

Buff Brahma mix

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Clara is a buff orpington..

5. LydiaNiz

LydiaNiz Hatching

Jun 28, 2010
    NOOOO! I'll be gutted if Rosie is a he as we'll have to get rid of him :-(
    An orpington? Ohhhhhhhhhh, I'm beginning to think the chap we got them from wasn't up to speed on his chooks!

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    she's a he... possibly a cross with a wyandotte because of the yellow leg...
    Clara might not be pure if she has coloured feather on her tail... but with that single comb and white leg, she's not a wyandotte....

7. LydiaNiz

LydiaNiz Hatching

Jun 28, 2010
    thanks a million for your help - guess it's time to find not-Rosie a new home [​IMG]

8. LydiaNiz

LydiaNiz Hatching

Jun 28, 2010
    I forgot to ask, what tips you to realise she is in fact a he? I was surprised as (s)he is very broad and a bit of a softy (although is def. top dog)
    Sorry if I'm asking the obvious! [​IMG]

9. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    There are 3 things to look for when picking out boys.
    1st, the comb (red thing on the head) is bigger & redder in boys.
    2nd, the wattles (red things hanging off the jaw) are bigger & redder in boys.
    3rd, the bottom of the neck feathers (hackles) & flank feathers (sickles) are thin & pointy in boys.
    Plus he just looks like a boy to me-you get an eye for it after keeping chickens for a while. He has a red face too.

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Croeso o'r cymoedd.

I agree that you have a Roger. If you look in the last picture (with Roger on the left) you will see he has much bigger comb, wattles and facial furniture generally when compared to the girl on his right. He also has a different feather pattern which is usually much brighter and more flamboyant than that of a hen with a saddle type area on his back, blocks of different colour and pointed feathers (rather than rounded) on his neck frill.In your girls the feather pattern is generally much more uniform.

The real giveaway is that fairly soon he will start making noises like he is being strangled whilst suffering from a heavy cold which will eventually develop into a crow. He will also start taking a great interest in your girls......

On the plus side, most cockerels make very pretty birds, are every bit as friendly as hens in the majority of cases, and if you want to hatch chicks, he will make sure that your eggs are fertile. A boy will often keep the hens from fighting, too
    [​IMG]

Sandie

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by