What is Rosie? (Or should it be Roger??)

LydiaNiz

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Hello from Wales!
We got our first chickens - 1 buff wyandotte (Clara), 1 gold laced Wyandotte (Boo) and mystery chicken!
They are now approx 15 weeks, (although Rosie the mystery one may be 17 weeks).
They have just started making proper 'hen' noises - lots of clucking, especially when my little boy takes them some meal worms for a treat!

Here are some pics, we are praying they are all girls (no crowing!) but what do you think? And what is she?
Eta: rosie is definitely the boss! she also is tamest - allowing us to pick her up etc
These pics were taken 3 weeks ago, so at approx 12-14 weeks old

Rosie in front here:
30305_428900210468_663440468_6247941_6291805_n.jpg

Rosie on left:
30305_428900220468_663440468_6247942_836127_n.jpg

Rosie in front:
30305_428900245468_663440468_6247945_2846480_n.jpg

Rosie on left:
30305_428900235468_663440468_6247944_5993680_n.jpg

Any help appreciated!
Lydia

Last edited:
NOOOO! I'll be gutted if Rosie is a he as we'll have to get rid of him :-(
An orpington? Ohhhhhhhhhh, I'm beginning to think the chap we got them from wasn't up to speed on his chooks!

she's a he... possibly a cross with a wyandotte because of the yellow leg...
Clara might not be pure if she has coloured feather on her tail... but with that single comb and white leg, she's not a wyandotte....

I forgot to ask, what tips you to realise she is in fact a he? I was surprised as (s)he is very broad and a bit of a softy (although is def. top dog)
Sorry if I'm asking the obvious!
hmm.png

There are 3 things to look for when picking out boys.
1st, the comb (red thing on the head) is bigger & redder in boys.
2nd, the wattles (red things hanging off the jaw) are bigger & redder in boys.
3rd, the bottom of the neck feathers (hackles) & flank feathers (sickles) are thin & pointy in boys.
Plus he just looks like a boy to me-you get an eye for it after keeping chickens for a while. He has a red face too.

Croeso o'r cymoedd.

I agree that you have a Roger. If you look in the last picture (with Roger on the left) you will see he has much bigger comb, wattles and facial furniture generally when compared to the girl on his right. He also has a different feather pattern which is usually much brighter and more flamboyant than that of a hen with a saddle type area on his back, blocks of different colour and pointed feathers (rather than rounded) on his neck frill.In your girls the feather pattern is generally much more uniform.

The real giveaway is that fairly soon he will start making noises like he is being strangled whilst suffering from a heavy cold which will eventually develop into a crow. He will also start taking a great interest in your girls......

On the plus side, most cockerels make very pretty birds, are every bit as friendly as hens in the majority of cases, and if you want to hatch chicks, he will make sure that your eggs are fertile. A boy will often keep the hens from fighting, too
lol.png

Sandie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom