what is this goose behavior?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sydney13, Oct 3, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    the other day my goose was sitting in a raised flower bed which is one of her usual spots. their were some pieces of straw scattered over the dirt and she would delicately pick each piece of straw up one at a time then walk over to the other side of the bed and put it on that side. she eventually made a small little pile of straw then walked away [​IMG] . anyone know what she was doing and has anyone have their geese do this? shes only 4 and a half months so to young to be making a nest right?

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    She is nesting .
    My chinese gesse started laying at 4 and 5 months of age.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She is at the very least practicing at making a nest.

4. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    She is probably making a nest!

5. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    so after the nest building then how long untill the lay a egg? and do geese tend to lay in the coops or outside?

6. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    Usually, mine just lays about right after her nest is done.... and my goose when she makes a nest, she usually lays most of her eggs there but some of the time she will lay them somewhere else..... Like, my goose just made a nest in our front flower bed and she laid about two eggs in there and then went into our chickens coop at night and now she lays all of her eggs there! [​IMG]

7. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I had ganders "make nests", and geese that did little gestures toward making a nest, but didn't lay any eggs (especially the ganders).

I think your goose is playing "house".

Come spring, she'll make a serious nest, taking hours and hours to get it just right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by