1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pinklemary, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Pinklemary

Pinklemary New Egg

Aug 28, 2016
    [​IMG]

Old Dorking hen having difficulties, she is melancholy and is producing very loose poo. Including stringy red stuff that looks very odd, any advice?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. That looks like blood, and I would go get some Corid today from a feed store to start treating her and the others for possible coccidiosis. Symptoms are lethargy, standing hunched or puffed up, not eating, and runny poops with mucus or blood. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. It is safe for all to drink, and change water daily. Here is a good link about coccidiosis:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

3. Pinklemary

Pinklemary New Egg

Aug 28, 2016
    We've read that hens can shed their intestinal linings and I wonder if it could be that, I've seen coccidiosis before and this looks very different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by