What is this????

Aprilxoxo

Songster
Feb 6, 2022
So to start the story my hen was showing the classic signs of not feeling well. She hadent layed an egg in a couple of days, she had a weord limp for 1 day and back to normal, drooped wings and open mouth breathing.
So obviously i take her to the vet fearing worms or eggbounded.
Vet checks for worms in stool and get the all clear.
So we go with the egg bound thought and she goes for a very expensive procedure and while she was under vet also checked her lungs and throat and does a full body check and again no worms or signs of other patasites.

Immediately she is feeling so much better. 3 days goes by and she lays her first egg but its got these weird things on them. As first i thought it was just calcium build up but they brushed off as i touched them and that make me have a closer look. They look like bug eggs, but are same colour as the shell???? Has anyone else had this?
Is this just calcium like i first thought and am i being a paranoid pet owner?
20231203_073254.jpg

P.s. shes been wormed recently, about 4 and 2 weeks before this debacle and is also now on antibiotics for some redness the vet found at the opening of her windpipe which she suspects might of been cause by aspiration (my fault while worming her)

How long did it take you to collect the egg? I'd clean out the nesting area just to make sure no bugs have set up shop. Other than that, it's a perfect egg. Get that crud off and enjoy! Hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in if there's a problem. Glad your girl's feeling better!

It's excess calcium being deposited on the egg.

Weird to look at but far more common than one would think.

I see that sometimes on my green eggs from one specific hen. Yes weird green pebbles lol. They brush off here too.
The first time I saw a thread with them in the picture my mind went straight to bug eggs too. Then I saw them in person and when crushed they are indeed calcium deposits.

This is a calcium deposit - your hen has excess calcium in her body and she is getting rid of some - and it happens to deposit onto the egg. If you run your finger nail under it, the deposit will probably flake off in little sprinkle balls.
My best advice would be to slow down giving her oaster shells and other sources of calcium.

How long did it take you to collect the egg? I'd clean out the nesting area just to make sure no bugs have set up shop. Other than that, it's a perfect egg. Get that crud off and enjoy! Hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in if there's a problem. Glad your girl's feeling better!
I got it shortly after she layed since it was still warm. Shes got a brand new box and hospital area in doors so no chance of usual poultry parasites externally. Others are saying it is infact calcium so now i can stop being anxious 😆

It's excess calcium being deposited on the egg.

Weird to look at but far more common than one would think.

I see that sometimes on my green eggs from one specific hen. Yes weird green pebbles lol. They brush off here too.
The first time I saw a thread with them in the picture my mind went straight to bug eggs too. Then I saw them in person and when crushed they are indeed calcium deposits.
I too, did end up crushing some out of curiosity. Im glad it was just calcium

Back
Top Bottom