What is wrong with feeding chickens meat?

Mine just had some left over snapper & shrimp.

I remember as a kid I thought it was weird that my grandma's chickens loved the fried chicken that was part of their flock just that morning...

mine eat meat as well and love it! they come running and all gather round to talk about the goodies they are about to get. i have been told that the eggs are better becasue of it and if they are meat birds then yes they need more protien and meat is a wonderful way to give them it. i raise meat birds and layers and i feed them layer grain and meat grain mixed and lots of garden veggies and meat! best tasting chicken ever!

Wish I had some snapper!

I take chicken livers which have been stewed a couple of hours and then add rice and it comes out like a large pot of maggots. Atleast that is what the chickens think it is!
I don't make it every day but maybe twice a week for the dogs and chickens.
This is especially good in the winter when bugs aren't around.

I feed mine meat, or whatever is left around, as long as it is not moldy or very salty. My chickens are egg layers and I think that it is almost a miracle that they can lay a hunk of high quality protein the size of their head almost every day. If you think about it, it would be like us having a baby every other day. That is a lot of energy and they can't make it out of thin air. I try to supplement them with everything they could possibly want for giving me such great eggs AND entertainment!

Kay

my chickens will eat anything that does not try to eat them first they love meat, and I do give them meat as treats, just like I give them weeds from the garden veggies and fruits they will eat anything that they can. and yes i think they are just small dinosaurs. and if my dogs stand sill or lay down long enough I have seen my hens checking if they are alive or not boy do the dogs jump when the hen pecks them it is funny. tell you Dh that they are just like humans and need all kinds of food to be happy and healthy.

You should see what they do with a
droolin.gif
turkey carcass
ep.gif
you would not worry
celebrate.gif

It's horrifying what they do with carcasses of anything! LOL. Don't fall down in that chicken pen!

I experimented with a pork boiling brine/marinade I wasn't a fan of. Normally I use broth in my own food, but I have a bag of old cheap rice I've been using for dog & chicken treats...I used a beef kidney I've had hanging out in my freezer and the chickens have felt quite pampered.

I got a 3.8 oz egg today!

My mom had a parakeet when she was a child which she fed, chicken meat
lol.png

There is nothing wrong with chickens getting some meat, it just whats oin the meat that worries me.
Mine won't be getting meat b/c we are vegetarian.

Back
Top Bottom