What is wrong with this chicken?

helenj

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
She's been like this since yesterday, found her on the floor of the coop yesterday morning. she hasn't eaten, only pooped twice, keeps her eyes closed and head up, sometimes she lays her head on her back, here's the vimeo video link of her behavior.

How old is she? Could she be dehydrated from the heat, or being kept from her water? She appears to be sitting on her hocks, and has her wings out. That can be from dehydration, or also from some neurolgical condition such as Mareks disease. Feel her crop to see if it is empty or full, check her droppings. Offer her some electrolytes with vitamins to drink. Has she been wormed recently, how long have you had her, and have you added any new birds to the flock?

She's about a year old give or take a couple months. We have over 100 chickens and all have access to fresh water and are doing well.
It seems to be some kind of neurological problem because she cannot keep her balance and walks backwards and can't keep her head level. Good morning I found her her crop was really full so I gave her Some olive oil and massage the crop. It took her all day to poop. Since then I've been giving her raw goat milk to sustain hydration and some nutrition. she does not seem to be getting any worse.

From your last post, it sounds as if she is suffering from wry neck with the neck positioning and walking backwards. She definitely needs chicken vitamins in case of a deficiency. Mareks disease is still a possibility though.

Back
Top Bottom