What is wrong with this roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jennajolynne, Jun 16, 2017.

1. jennajolynne

jennajolynne Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2017
    Upstate NY
    They had BOGO at a local Ag store when I went to go buy a few pullets and I ended up bringing this guy home because I felt SO sorry for him. Nobody was going to buy him looking like this. He is naked. He is supposedly a cochin bantam with frizzle gene. Someone please tell me when he hasn't feathered out yet? I have kept him inside and separated from my flock A. Because he is naked and may still get cold and B. Because he will get picked on. HELP! Also what can I do for him?

Attached Files:

2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    How old is he? You might check for pests that may have caused any feathers he had to fall out or fail to grow. If he's otherwise healthy, I'd try giving him some high protein feed, like feather grower or chick grower/starter and see if that helps. Feeding him scrambled eggs and other high protein treats like mealworms might help too.

3. jennajolynne

May 8, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I don't see any parasites. He is on grower and chick starter. I would say he is around 6 weeks old. I will try the scrambled eggs and higher protein diet. Thank you!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing he has a genetic defect. Simply does not have any feather follicles (or what ever they are called) over half of his body. I certainly hope you did not pay good money for him!

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    He could be a frazzle in which case keeping him feathered out could be a problem.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Exactly...I feel sorry for these crosses, like the smashed nosed bug eyed little dogs.
    What humans do to please our eyes....SMH.

CTKen likes this.
  7. jennajolynne

May 8, 2017
    Upstate NY
    No I didn't he was part of a buy one get one free. But that's not the point. I felt sorry for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by