What is Your Idea of the Perfect Farm Dog

ncgnance

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Iredell County, NC
OK, I and my family have decided its time to replace our runaway Aussie, Jake. The deer will soon be eating the garden, the squirrels are moving right up on the porch, the snakes are taking over the yard, and Shylo, our golden, needs a partner. And she is no help on the farm, just a good lay around dog. I would love some input on what kind of dog we need. Jake kept everything ran off, but he was not good around the chickens, so we need a dog that gets along with farm animals. I value your opinions, everyone. Tell me why your type of dog is perfect, or nearly so...

Blue Heelers are hard to beat a a general farm dog, but I'm partial to hounds as well. I really like blue ticks and Red Bones, but they're known to wonder.

Why not head down to your local humane society and see what they have. I'm sure you'll find something great.

Last edited:
We have a farm collie. By that i mean his parents and grandparents were working farm dogs. he is great with the goats,horse,and geese and ducks. He did bark at the chickens when we first got them but now he could care less. We also have have a golden that is ok around the goats but not the birds. My daughters two dogs are even better with the animals and believe it or not they are both pitbulls. They can be trusted around the chickens and lay side by side with our freerangeing pair of RIR's Neither one of them even looks at the animals here. My own golden I wouldnt trust with any bird.I think it depends on the individual personality of the dog. Some have a higher prey drive than others.

I love my labs there easy to train and even though I use mine for waterfowl and pheasant hunting they know when and when not to go after birds the first time I showed them the chickens. I pointed and said no it took maybe 4 or 5 times til they understood now I let them run with the chickens and have no probs I don't leave them alone with the chickens but ya shouldn't leave any dog alone with chickens no matter how well you think you know your dog! they also chase the crows and starlings out of the garden! Can't beat a lab great companions!

Quote:
Agreed! My lab/pyrenees mix is great and my lab/border collie mix is wonderful! No predators, no deer, safe with the chickens, safe with livestock, barks at strangers, don't bark unnecessarily. Can't ask for sweeter companions and friends!

One was a rescued dog and one was free to a good home as a pup. Love those free dogs!

We have a border collie puppy and are very pleased so far... but it's early days. We're already getting more work out of her than we do our greyhounds.
lol.png

Quote:
Agreed! My lab/pyrenees mix is great and my lab/border collie mix is wonderful! No predators, no deer, safe with the chickens, safe with livestock, barks at strangers, don't bark unnecessarily. Can't ask for sweeter companions and friends!

One was a rescued dog and one was free to a good home as a pup. Love those free dogs!

They just have a special place in my heart. I have no room for one now, but some day...

I've helped rehome every single one that I have found or people have come to me looking for help in rehoming. I wish I coulda rehomed them *here*. hehe

I would love a heeler because I think they get the whole protection and herding thing in one. I have a basset hound now though
lol.png

our aussie is great with the chickens - he doesnt even blink when my daughters bb red chick (8wks) wanders the yard with her. Even our american bulldog does well with them. It really is more about personality and training then anything else. Good Luck with your search!
p.s. we've only had chicks 2 months now - they were taught to leave them alone as soon as we got them though I must admit my AB LOVES
love.gif
anything small she thinks they are puppies she needs to take care of -including our kittens (she rolls onto her side so they can crawl on her belly)

Back
Top Bottom