What Is Your Most Common Predator?

What Is Your Most Common Predator?

• Total voters
Technically? Me.

After that, hawks are most common - though the neighbors have had problems with possums and dogs, and some wild canines, I have not. Hopes pinned to an electric fence that it remains that way.
I've had great success with electric. Hope you do, too.

Not gonna do much to keep YOU from killing your chickens, though.
😂

I have coyotes, hawks, and eagles on my property. I’ve seen roadkilled skunks and raccoons on the highway about 7 miles away, so I think it’s safe to assume I may see them occasionally.

Neighbors tell me we have bears and mountain lions on occasion, too. But I’ve not seen signs of them. My guess is they are pass-through juveniles looking for territory as our elevation is only about 4k feet. Most sightings of adults are higher.

I have coyotes, hawks, and eagles on my property. I’ve seen roadkilled skunks and raccoons on the highway about 7 miles away, so I think it’s safe to assume I may see them occasionally.

Neighbors tell me we have bears and mountain lions on occasion, too. But I’ve not seen signs of them. My guess is they are pass-through juveniles looking for territory as our elevation is only about 4k feet. Most sightings of adults are higher.
I'm at 2k feet here, and we have both bear and mountain lion here. Had a bear family move in for a bit (mama and 2 cubs). Left huge piles of dung in my driveway - lol! Have a wolf seasonally, too. Should start seeing her again soon. Where are you? Just curious.

I'm at 2k feet here, and we have both bear and mountain lion here. Had a bear family move in for a bit (mama and 2 cubs). Left huge piles of dung in my driveway - lol! Have a wolf seasonally, too. Should start seeing her again soon. Where are you? Just curious.
I’m in Montana, in the foothills of the eastern slope.

Ranch country, so I’m sure large preds are actively “discouraged” by owners from larger holdings.

I’m in Montana, in the foothills of the eastern slope.

Ranch country, so I’m sure large preds are actively “discouraged” by owners from larger holdings.
Beautiful country, there! I'm in the Sierra Foothills of Northern California. We aren't really allowed to "discourage" predators here. So many laws.....

Beautiful country, there! I'm in the Sierra Foothills of Northern California. We aren't really allowed to "discourage" predators here. So many laws.....
I suppose, technically, there are times and types that aren’t allowed, here. But folks who depend on their herds/flocks to support a family often follow the “shoot-shovel-shutup” method of predator management.

I’m not a fan of blanket destruction, but my survival is not on the line, either.

Back
Top Bottom