1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of plywood should be used, and paint?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ashleyrae211, May 21, 2012.

1. ashleyrae211

ashleyrae211 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    NEWBIE BUILDER!!!

What kind of plywood should I use? OSB is soooo much cheap which is nice on my not so big wallet, but will it hold up in the weather? Can I use some kind of paint/treatment that will help that is okay for use with animals?

2. Jersey Jon

Jersey Jon Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Rockaway, NJ
    I agree with your thoughts on OSB, it acts like a sponge. You will get a few years out of it, but only a few. Walk into your local building store and ask them for "Sheathing". It's much tougher.

If you are afraid of paint, use stain such as Thompson's weather seal. The nice thing about stain is you can spray it on instead of painting for hours.

Good luck!

3. 1dude

1dude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Pace, Florida
    I'm going to use Masonite siding. Also paint it to add more moisture protection.
    It's used on sheds and houses, its pretty strong stuff. Not sure of the cost
    per sheet. Check Lowes or HD.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by