What kind of Snake is This? (Plus Strange Preservation)

While we’re at it, does anyone know what kind of turtle this shell comes from? I found the shell and “chest plate” on a walk. It was just right there in all it’s glory.
7FB5BED0-369B-470C-BF55-79812B812205.jpeg

Fascinating story.

If you think where they find naturally mummified animals it's often really dry places. They have found mummified bodies in peat bogs, the acid water preserves them. They find bodies that have remained frozen. Neither of those look that well preserved. Not those colors. I saw a bog man in Denmark, black as tar. I just think that got really dry until it dried out. The bugs and microbes that decompose bodies need moisture.

I'd be tempted to contact a museum. I believe UT Knoxville has a natural history museum on campus. Talk to them about preserving it. I'd think you'd wat to keep it really dry and probably away from oxygen but I'm no expert.

Fascinating story.

If you think where they find naturally mummified animals it's often really dry places. They have found mummified bodies in peat bogs, the acid water preserves them. They find bodies that have remained frozen. Neither of those look that well preserved. Not those colors. I saw a bog man in Denmark, black as tar. I just think that got really dry until it dried out. The bugs and microbes that decompose bodies need moisture.

I'd be tempted to contact a museum. I believe UT Knoxville has a natural history museum on campus. Talk to them about preserving it. I'd think you'd wat to keep it really dry and probably away from oxygen but I'm no expert.
Interesting! I have heard of the “bog man” and I’ll take a lucky guess and say thousands of years probably take a toll on a dead body, and likely, is the reason he isn’t this well preserved :lau (But could have been at one point)

I’ve only taken it out of this Jar once. It wouldn’t be a terrible idea to contact someone about it, since the jar isn’t very good (the snake is on its side in there and I can’t fix it! Plus I can’t see it very well!) and Google isn’t very helpful on the matter :rolleyes:

I have many curiosities about it! I’d like to be able to display it better to:D

Does anyone know if it is a Copperhead? I’m 90% sure that it is, but it’s small. (Could just be young)
Its skull looks elliptical, which means it's probably not venomous. Copper heads, moccasins and rattlers have a sort of triangular shaped head and are short and thick. Garter snakes are long and slender with an elliptical head. We had one inside a bathroom wall once, eating termites!

I’ve only taken it out of this Jar once. It wouldn’t be a terrible idea to contact someone about it, since the jar isn’t very good (the snake is on its side in there and I can’t fix it! Plus I can’t see it very well!) and Google isn’t very helpful on the matter :rolleyes:
Do you have plans to re-use this Mason jar? Someone may be reluctant to be served lemonade in this jar, especially if aforementioned snake is not removed prior to beverage dispensation

Back
Top Bottom