WHAT Kind of SPIDER is this???

I don't mind spiders as long as they aren't the brown or black widows that seem to LOVE my backyard. I don't have a huge flock, so they are still common for me. I was trimming an orange tree, and moved an old windchime that was on it...looked under part of it (it's a frog on a lilliypad) and under the belly was webbing...you know where this is going, right? A black widow scurried out and I squashed her and all THREE of her egg sacks. I have children, so I have NO tolerance for those things. Wolf spiders I am okay with, but I can totally see how someone afraid of spiders would be freaked by them. Good luck with your spider problem.

Quote:
Apparently you have never been bit by a poisonous spider to be able to see the damage they can cause. Or did you just wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Or maybe one crawled up your behind and gave you a nasty attitude?

No I'm in a GREAT mood. You? Actually I was attempting to be humorous in a truthful and ironic sort of way. You know, humans have all these strange phobias of various "animals" (think non-venomous snakes, spiders, etc) when humans are the scariest, most destructive animal of all. Get it now? Sorry, didn't expect it to go over heads....but you did sort of prove my point with your nastiness so thank you!

271139_248453105167791_100000093107776_1121325_6389880_s.jpg

Check out this spider living in my backyard...

Quote:
Apparently you have never been bit by a poisonous spider to be able to see the damage they can cause. Or did you just wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Or maybe one crawled up your behind and gave you a nasty attitude?

No I'm in a GREAT mood. You? Actually I was attempting to be humorous in a truthful and ironic sort of way. You know, humans have all these strange phobias of various "animals" (think non-venomous snakes, spiders, etc) when humans are the scariest, most destructive animal of all. Get it now? Sorry, didn't expect it to go over heads....but you did sort of prove my point with your nastiness so thank you!

Truthful? People have phobias and they are real, and scary. Maybe read a book on humor? I'm a very pleasant person, but I do not try to make people feel childish over their fears, it's not nice or humorous. I think you have proven your point through your words as well. Your words to the OP and other posters could be very destructive as well.

To the OP, yes it is a wolf spider (Lycosidae). They are relatively harmless and rarely, if ever, bite people.

Jerusha, that is Nephila clavipes, the Golden Orb Weaving Spider.

Okie Amazon, the first pic is Argiope aurantia, another garden spider. The second pic is of an Opilionid, or Harvestman. That isn't even a spider even though it has eight legs and looks like one. Yes, they are often called Daddy Long-legs.

I'm a big chicken when it comes to spiders too, although I leave them be if they're outside. I TRY not to kill them even if they're in the house, but if someone is not available to "catch and release" then I have to find some spray, because then I picture it climbing on me while I'm sleeping at night.
barnie.gif

I was working in my detached garage a few years ago and "discovered" the largest wolf spider I've ever seen (in person)...thick beefy body, muscular looking legs, probably 4 inches across total. Using a long branch, I dropped one of those green, plastic stawberry baskets over it to jail it. The darned thing was so big, that it couldn't get out; it was still there the next day. I was so scared/paranoid that I sprayed it with wasp spray to kill it. I felt guilty and horrible about that, because I generally don't mess with outdoor spiders - but I was literally sweating I was so afraid of it. I didn't say it was logical...

Quote:
You can also spray them with hairspray, it limits their movement and you can kill it without worrying about it jumping on you, or running somewhere that you can't find it. Spiders are scary, I watched a huge patch of my uncles leg rot away from a brown recluse (his leg was bad even after treatment) and a friend extremely ill from a Black Widow. I have nightmares about spiders and have jumped into walls trying to get away from them in my dreams
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom