What Scale do you use to weigh your meat birds?

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
I do not have a scale or weighing meat birds and need to buy one. I was curious what others use, if they like the scale they use and what they would recommend. My bathroom scale isn't going to cut it. Show case your scale pictures! Good time to brag about your heaviest meat bird too.

When i asked I was thinking about live birds, but if you use 2 different scales one for processed birds and one for live birds, tell me about both.

I love my digital kitchen scale, I use it for baking a LOT. Works fine to weigh dead birds too. If I can get them to stand still, it would work for live ones lol. I currently use a handheld luggage scale for live ones.
Yeah live ones won't sit still, I was wondering if I will be building a cage on a scale. The hand held hanging scale for luggage might be good, I don't want to have to hang them by their feet but if that turns out to be the best way to do it then thats what I will be doing

I use a bathroom scale. Just go out to the pasture pens with the scale and a board wide enough to fit it and weigh myself and then pick up a couple birds (one at a time) and subtract my weight. I've tried the hanging luggage scale by the feet method, but it just seems to painful and stressful for the birds especially late into their growth (which is when I usually want to weigh them). They never seem to mind being held and picked up though when they're big so I've stuck to the bathroom scale and we grow 200+ birds a year now and I'm still doing it that way. You only have to weigh a couple and if you time it right, you really only have to go out there with the scale one time per batch. We use a price calculating scale for dressed birds after butchering.

Yeah live ones won't sit still, I was wondering if I will be building a cage on a scale. The hand held hanging scale for luggage might be good, I don't want to have to hang them by their feet but if that turns out to be the best way to do it then thats what I will be doing
Yeah, I'm actually thinking of trying a zip up tote bag for it, should work much better. It does the job, but hanging is unpleasant.

Back
Top Bottom