What scratch grains brand do you feel is the highest quality?

I like this one by Dumor….it has 5 different grains. It isn’t dusty. Some of the cheaper types have way too much milo, which my chickens don’t like so much. IMG_3040.jpeg

I like this one by Dumor….it has 5 different grains. It isn’t dusty. Some of the cheaper types have way too much milo, which my chickens don’t like so much. View attachment 3652826

Same! It's a pretty good mix.

And as long as scratch is used as a treat (under 10% of their diet) it's not unhealthy to offer it. It should be work for them to find ("scratch").
We give ours some every evening, because it's a big priority for them to fill up before dark, and scratch grains take longer to digest so they feel fuller. As soon as they find it all and fill up on water, they start selecting spots on the roost, and this makes my evening chores easier so I can have human dinner. Win/win.
But, the warnings are not wrong, because in excess or combined with other treats, scratch can throw off the balance of nutrition. So, scatter responsibly :p

My 50# bag of Producer's Pride (TSC) cracked corn has lasted me forever. I know it's not a scratch mix, but apparently corn is one of the foods that's supposed to warm them as they digest it. This bag was much cheaper than any of the scratch mixes I saw at the store.

I like this one by Dumor….it has 5 different grains. It isn’t dusty. Some of the cheaper types have way too much milo, which my chickens don’t like so much. View attachment 3652826
Re DuMor 5 grain scratch, here is a photo of what it looks like. It contains corn, wheat, sunflower seeds, barley, and milo. Many brands have only 3 grains. I can toss this to the flock and not have a dusty hand. FullSizeRender.jpeg
And yes, scratch and other treats should not make up more than 10% of their diet.

Corn has high carbohydrates, which is good for quick energy, but it will turn to fat if it is eaten just before bedtime. Corn does not heat up the body. Any food will cause heat to increase during digestion, but not significantly. Corn is known as a "hot" food because it tends to make the animal more energetic (because of the carbohydrate flood in the bloodstream).

The best way to keep your animals warmer is to keep them out of drafts/wind. Also, to let them snuggle together on the roost.

Back
Top Bottom