1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What sex are my Buff Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mtblankus, Jul 9, 2016.

1. mtblankus

mtblankus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    We are preparing for the 4H fair, planning on showing a pen of 3 (2 pullets 1 cockerel) and a single pullet. However, I'm concerned 2 of the pullets are not pullets. :-/ I don't want my son to get in front of the judge and find out we were wrong.

1. Pullet
    [​IMG]
    2. Pullet?
    [​IMG]
    3. Pullet?
    [​IMG]
    4. Cockerel
    [​IMG]

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    All your pullets look to have rounded saddle feathers and your cockerel looks to have longer, pointer ones. How old are they?

3. mtblankus

Apr 1, 2016
    About 3-1/2-4 months.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The first one doesn't look pure Orpington to me comb doesn't look right, and body coloring is off, unless it's because of poor exposure from the sun. Is it forming a single comb or something else?

5. mtblankus

Apr 1, 2016
    I got the first one in the same batch as the other 2 pullets (at the feed store). Here is a closer picture. Her comb just looks small and underdeveloped compared to the other 2. She has had the same sun exposure as the other 2. They have been outside all day since about 4 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    I think they're are all roos but the first two in the photos (and pictured above) look like a mix of something else.
    But the race is very VERY red for 3.5-4 months of age

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by