What shape of roosts do you use in your chicken coop?

What shape of roosts do you use?

• Round

Votes: 70 35.2%
  • Square

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • Square, tilted

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Rectangle

Votes: 24 12.1%
  • Rectangle, tilted

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Rectangle, flat side up

Votes: 114 57.3%

• Total voters
I use a 2x4 on the flat side. I’m new to chickens and in my research that seemed to be the popular choice so I went with it. The birds seem to like it! They also have a ladder in their run but not many like it, only the rooster we rehomed used it.

My preferences based on availability of materials, cost, and in some cases need to keep them from rolling. Most fabricated roost you can buy have same criteria used to guide design. The birds need for or preference for two x fours is bull unless bird is missing the greater part of a lot of toes.
This weekend, we are making our roost "Handicapped Accessible" because of toe issues with one of our cockerels. Poor little booger... he has dislocated 2 toes on one foot, and we can not get them to go back. They don't bother him at all... except, he won't roost with the others. The roost are old branches, about 2 in wide at the top, and bless his heart, he cant wrap those toes around it. SO... went to lowe's last night, got some 2x3's... and we will add them to the back of those branches. (The branches are flat on the back) $20 later...everyone can roost.:D

The accommodations we make for the comfort of our birds.

I have a mix of 2x4s and 2x3s at different heights. Some are on end (1.5"), some are flats (2.5", 3.5"), and some are angled so the bar is higher at one side than the other, others are level.

As you can see from the sig, I have a wide variety of bird sizes.

Oh, and I have a base for a composter made from a 55 gal drum which has two 2x4s at a slight angle (15 degrees?) so one point is slightly "up", on the 1.5" wide side. That's the preferred outdoor roost on my Golden Comets and most of the Dark Brahma.

/edit Forgot to add. I dropped a 13' long "stump" of an old hickory dead on my property, starting to rot where it stood as part of my fire mitigation/widowmaker removal efforts. That was dragged into the run and set on some cinder blocks to keep it out of the wet. It is the preferred outdoor perch for about 1/3 of my HH Rainbows. I'm guessing it varies from about 6" to 9 or 10" in diameter. They like the fat end. Left the bark on it.

and I sometimes find birds perched on the 3/4" PVC water line going from my 275gal tank to the watering cups, in a section with no cups - so they are clearly resting, not drinking - but none will overnight there.

Last edited:
Just a fun poll. And please post below why you use your type and what you chickens tend to prefer!

Please also check out this poll: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/are-your-roosts-equal-heights.1403369/
I am using a training roost right now because my 3-week olds are in their brooder. Got from Amazon but they rarely use any of the 3 round bars at varying heights to roost. They use the sidewalls. This is the one I have. Odd to watch them because will fly jump to one side and try and get comfortable and if not will jump to the other side and try. I am not sure how to get them to attempt using the round bars more. I am a new chicken mama so started with these 6 Rhode Island Reds based on my research.

Attachments

• roosttrainer.jpg
    roosttrainer.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 25
This weekend, we are making our roost "Handicapped Accessible" because of toe issues with one of our cockerels. Poor little booger... he has dislocated 2 toes on one foot, and we can not get them to go back. They don't bother him at all... except, he won't roost with the others. The roost are old branches, about 2 in wide at the top, and bless his heart, he cant wrap those toes around it. SO... went to lowe's last night, got some 2x3's... and we will add them to the back of those branches. (The branches are flat on the back) $20 later...everyone can roost.:D

The accommodations we make for the comfort of our birds.
I know. I am so attached to my 3-week old gals. They are just so awesome.

I use 2x4's with the wide sides up. I had round ones and a few chickens got frostbite on their toes so my new coop has these. So far no complaints!

Attachments

• IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    561.7 KB · Views: 24
I am using a training roost right now because my 3-week olds are in their brooder. Got from Amazon but they rarely use any of the 3 round bars at varying heights to roost. They use the sidewalls. This is the one I have. Odd to watch them because will fly jump to one side and try and get comfortable and if not will jump to the other side and try. I am not sure how to get them to attempt using the round bars more. I am a new chicken mama so started with these 6 Rhode Island Reds based on my research.
I don't see them as ever using the lower roosts. Chickens, all sizes, ages and shapes, like to be able to see all around. How else would they know when to run around frantically flapping and screeching. :^)

Back
Top Bottom