What silly things are your chickens scared of???

Mine are terrified if they see someone wearing a skirt........they will fly out of the garden in panic and take several hours before they come back.

Oh wow, this thread made me laugh really hard. Mine are terrified of straw, but only if it's in a square form- bales or flakes. I cannot leave even a partial straw bale (not even two flakes) next to the coop- they will not go out the door to the yard to free-range. I was told that I could just set flakes around the run and the chickens would do the work of spreading it around. NOPE!! If that straw is in a square form of any type it is TERRIFYING. They will take off like game birds at the sight of it. Last time they all stopped laying for 24 hours.

They are totally cool with straw if I do all of the work of spreading it around the large run...
roll.png

We are switching to alternative beddings... lol.

Last edited:
Mine were terrified of an electrician we had here over the weekend, doing some outside work (including running electric to their coop so we can keep their fluffy butts warm in the winter). They freaked at the site of him and ran like he was Godzilla, and they stayed as far away from him as they could whenever they could see him. I shut them out of the coop so he could work in there without them under foot. They didn't see him enter or leave, because you can't see the human entrance to the coop from their run, but they must've smelled him or something, because I had a heck of a time getting them in the coop on Sunday night - that's never happened before.

He is quite tall - probably 6' 6" or so, but my husband is 6' 3", so they are used to tall males. They're just wacky. What sort of ladies don't love a guy with a tool belt?
lau.gif

Many things my chickens are afraid of, but none so fearsome as the moving foot of horror! Oh yes, when they see it, they run far and wide, for cover!
lol.png
And a close second to the horrible foot is, oh yes, the broom!

Back
Top Bottom