what sort of goose

It's been interesting watching him these last few days. I walk the flock to the park a few times a day for grazing, flapping (read flying lessions
smile.png
)and general lazing around. Trumpet doesn't understand at all how a flock moves. If they move towards him at all, he thinks they are trying to get at him. He also doesn't understand the "goosing" that both the ducks and geese do. He acts like they are trying to kill him and runs away, when really they just want his current space. He is settling in a bit though and I owe it to my chinese female. She keeps trying to graze near him and she talks soft goose to him. He's starting to let her get close. My gander is also settling down a bit around him and though he still likes him to move sometimes, he also has been going out of his way to graze nearby.

Trumpet doesn't cry all day now when in the yard. But he stands mostly in one spot and preens while he watches everyone else in the pond. Yesterday I made some dividers for the duck house and put him in his own space. Rommy (my gander) talked with him for a long time last night. I stood outside with my eye to the crack in the door and finally Ranaya and Rommy laid down against the divider with Trumpet finally settling down on the other side. I can't wait to let them out this morning. Hopefully he'll be more interested in interaction with everyone.

My super duper friendly cat, Hooli, has made friends with Trumpet. Sometimes Trumpet will follow him around. Trumpet has figured out that if he sticks near Hooli he gets a clear shot to the food. I wish I could get into the minds of animals because it seems like Hooli purposely helps him out. It appears that Hooli keeps everyone clear while Trumpet eats. Hooli will sit and groom himself until Trumpet is done and then walk back to Trumpet's spot, with Trumpet following, above the pond.

In a way it's sad, because there was a part of me that wanted him to continue wanting me all the time. I was sorta looking forward to a house goose. But I know it's better for him and increases my chances of rehoming him if he becomes more interested in being an actual goose. I never knew I had so many heartstrings! They sure pull on them... all the time.

They sure do! I wonder if you penned Trumpet and the other two geese up together, if Trumpet would get to liking being a goose more? It sounds like they are trying to make friends. You know you're going to keep him, so just quit fighting it
lol.png

Well when I opened the duck house this morning, everyone came pouring out. I let Trumpet out last and guess what? The guy can fly. He flew right over the flock ready to go for the morning walk to the park... he led them the entire way. He was a bit antsy, walking like he was avoiding getting goosed, but when we got to the park, he started grazing and not at my feet either, but by Rommy and Ranaya, the other two geese. There was some goosing at the point, Rommy kept wanting Trumpet's spot, but Trumpet didn't run far away, just a few feet and started grazing some more. After a while it did become a bit much... the way the flock moves still scares him, and he came and grazed around my feet and kept putting me between him and the rest of the flock, but overall, proggress!
wee.gif

You are doing perfectly in making him realize he is a goose!
Gently and slowly is the key! You don't want to traumatize him by tossing him out there.

I have a duck who was an only house duck for 5 years. When I got him in, he didn't really know he was supposed to be a duck.

Now he does very well in the flock. He is the only drake with 9 ducks. He still tries to have a fling with my shoes for old times sake, but overall, he is part of the flock, though he likes to be with me for a while when I go out to see them.

Anyway, sorry for rambling.
You are doing GOOD! And again, THANK YOU!

I'm so glad Trumpet has started to settle in. I love that Hooli is guarding him. Don't you wish you could know what they're thinking? One of my Africans has started "guarding" me from the rest of the flock. Hope he isn't getting romantic ideas.
roll.png

It's so wonderful to write about what is going on and to get feedback. No one around here (edit: here being my house and neighborhood) really gets it. Thank you everyone!

Shelly, I might try putting the geese all together tonight, but I'm scared for him! No, I'll wait till tomorrow night
smile.png
Thank you for the idea.

Throughout the day he's made more progress. Instead of being above the pond all day NOT SLEEPING EVER, he's moved himself to the water's edge. He also laid down at the park today after the grazing was done. I was so proud of him. He's starting to get the hang of the pecking order thing, though a few times he went nuts when nipping back. He did stop when I told him "NO!" though.

Someone loved this guy a great deal. I don't know how to find his owner. It's hard for me to believe that someone just dumped him.
sad.png
I don't want to believe it.

Last edited:
I would think it was like was stated before, they got a cute little baby goosey and it became a problem. People need to research any animal they decide to take in. Did the animal shelter say anything about it?

Quote:
Poor baby, good thing it didn't get hit! I would hope that the owner didn't dump it, but since it is so attached to people I doubt it just wandered off.

Back
Top Bottom