what sort of goose

Night two in the duck pen:

I took your advice Shelly and tried putting the two geese in with Trumpet last night. My goose Ranaya would have nothing to do with it and went into one of her biting everything frenzies. I took her out and just left Rommy in there. He wasn't happy to be in there, he tried to get out and cried a bit, but he eventually settled down, and I heard nothing from the flock until I let them out this morning.

Wow, what a difference. It's like Trumpet and Rommy are best of friends today. I went to take everyone on their morning walk but the ducks (bless their tiny brains) got "lost" (as in ended up a foot away from the fence opening and kept trying to walk through the fence lol). Usually this makes Ranaya run back honking to the flock, but Trumpet was in the lead, with Rommy following so after some looking back and forth, Ranaya followed the other two to the park. They grazed well together and Trumpet seemed to understand the neck language, even participated in the "conversations."

Eventually we went back and got the ducks (I don't feed until everyone has foraged) and Trumpet was much more sure of himself with the ducks. He was moving with the flock and taking notice when the drakes started up their "alert" call. Ranaya is much more aggressive when the ducks are around and suddenly didn't want anything to do with Trumpet, but he didn't seem to mind. He took a few swipes at some of the ducks and a few times worried me because he would chase them with his neck out. Overall he did well with them, and even walked back to the house with them though I lingered behind.

I decided not to feed him separately this morning, and he made his place at the feeding area next to Rommy. Rommy talked dirty at him a bit but finally let Trumpet settle in to eat with him.

I'm hoping Trumpet will teach Rommy how to fly.
big_smile.png
That would be absolutely awesome. Trumpet flies down the steps and this morning two of my runners followed in flight! I know it's mostly just flapping sort of gliding, but it made me smile.

Sounds like he's learning how to be a goose. I love that Rommy and Trumpet have become buds. Sounds like Ranaya is a bit jealous that Rommy has another friend.

Bless your poor little ducks for getting lost!
lau.gif
I have one gander who routinely gets left behind in the pen and can't figure out how to get out and join the flock. He just runs the fence and screams until I rescue him. I'm thinking he isn't the brightest goose.
roll.png

That would be awesome if he could teach Rommy to fly!

Trumpets story would make such a wonderful childrens book. A message of learning how with understanding and work they also can fit into a new and perhaps difficult new living arrangement after an upheaval in their lives.

Keep good notes and give it a try.

Trumpet is so lucky you found him/her.

So glad that Trumpet is making friends!! That is so neat
love.gif
Trumpet will learn his place, the fighting is normal to establish where Trumpet stands in the flock.
smile.png

Yay Trumpet!!

My husband doesn't want me to rehome him...
hmm.png

He said to me this morning, "Too bad he'll get mean during the breeding season, I really like him."
I replied, "He won't be here in the spring, I'm trying to find him a home."
Hubby looks from Trumpet to me and says, "But I really like him, it's nice having him around."

Sounds to me like I won't have to rehome him. I really should though. If I want to rescue waterfowl in the future, I need to learn how to get them better and then find good homes for them, or I will run out of room. We are on a large lot in the "suburban" part of the island. So room is an issue, as are neighbors. Their "I'm at work" pen is about is about 3000 square feet, but that's on sloped rocky ground. It gets muddy quickly also. When someone is home they have about 9000 square feet and use of the park twice a day when I walk them there. I feed them only after we go to the park, so between the park and feed, there is enough property for them to get the rest through foraging. I'm afraid that adding more and more will deplete the resources of my yard.
sad.png

Gah, I hate having to talk myself out of keeping him.

Well I got this in my email box today in regards to my "lost pet goose" ad

"Thank you so much I did a posting right after they got out unfortunately 2 got hit by cars before I discovered that they had flown the coop so to speak and junior is so lonely without his buddy because they are from the same hatching and raised together.Yes they are quite tame and if your found goose is mine then he is a talouse or brown and white goose with light orange bill and feet and doesn't have his wings clipped thus the escape. Plus you should live close on 305 to silverdale baptist church. if this sounds right please call so I can reunite junior to his buddy and make him a happy goose. I had just about given up hope and was going to go get him a buddy so he wasn't so lonely. please call me at"

So if this is this guys goose then I guess Trumpet was just really traumatized by his ordeal and a human was the only thing that was familiar... it might also explain why he took to my husband more than me even though I spend more time with him.

Back
Top Bottom