what sort of goose

After looking some more, I think he's just a mix. He's too small to be a toulouse, he has too much brown to be a blue (I think) so I'm gonna go with "good looking mutt"

well, if this guy isn't just an escapee and instead was dumped, I know why. He is LOUD when he's not near a human. My entire flock hates him. I've never seen ducks be so mean. They were ripping into him. He basically leaped into my arms when I rescued him. I took him up to the deck, and he sat happily in my lap for a few hours. I tried making him a little pen up there, but he wouldn't stop crying once I came inside. In the end I put him in a crate and had to lay down on the floor all night where he could see me, in order for him to be quiet. My back is killing me.

He listens too. I can tell him "no," and he quivers a bit but leaves it alone or stops doing what he was doing. I think he's young as I see a little bit of down left, like he hasn't completely feathered up yet. He likes to nibble, and it hurts. Makes me wonder if he got too big and his previous home didn't know how to deal with it. I gave him some cat toys (a mouse and a knit ball) and he happily went from my arms and legs to nibbling on them. I also gave him some rope and that really made him happy. He wanted to "goose" the cats, but calms down when I tell him "no" and softly talk goose to him. For a little bit my friendly cat and him laid next to each other.

He seems healthy, but a bit ratty. His stools look normal, and today I'll check his feet, but he walks fine, if not a bit wobbly... wobbly like still a toddler.

Anyway, my husband adores him, since he's the only fowl we have that is friendly with him. I need to find this guy a home, but it's going to be more difficult since he seems sort of special. Very different from the rest. In the meantime, I've ordered some diapers, and will keep him outside with the flock during the day. They seem to tolerate him when they are free ranging. It's when I gate off the larger part of the yard that they flip out on him. He still cries out there if I'm not there, but I'm hoping he'll get use to them so he's easier to rehome.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Donna

It sounds like someone had it as an indoor pet, it was probably the only bird they had. It doesn't know how to act around the other birds, because it thinks it's a human. Probably why it was at an animal shelter, instead of an animal auction.

You'll have to find it a home where it can have lots of attention. Maybe someone looking for a pet goose?

It should eventually learn to be around the other birds, but it will take time. I think your other birds are just doing that because it is new, they'll stop eventually.

I hope you find it a new home, geese are just wonderful animals. If I were closer I'd take it
smile.png

And I agree that it is probably very young, it is not filled out very well at all.

Not sure if this will work for a goose, but a mirror and a big fluffy stuffed toy kept my lone hatches entertained enough that they didn't cry for me too much

that's a great idea, Wifezilla. I'll see if I can't find an indestructible stuffed toy. I also found that s/he likes the sound of movies. Probably likes television, but we don't have one. Maybe at night I can play hulu or something. Too bad it won't play continuously. Hrmm... maybe internet talk radio would work.

My husband named him/her Trumpet. The only one he's named. He may end up being the one to adopt him.
smile.png
Yesterday was the longest he'd ever spent in the yard... he worried so much about Trumpet. His crying is so loud and lonely it really pulled at his heartstrings I think. However, I promised hubby I would actively look to find Trumpet a new home. Hubby though is already talking about how it has to be "just the right home, Donna, not just anybody."
wink.png

As tame as he is someone definitely could be missing him! Hope he finds his home! Wonderful of you to get him from the kill shelter! (BIG Karma points for you!)
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom