What the heck is in my egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FlockO5ive, Sep 7, 2013.

1. FlockO5ive

FlockO5ive Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    [​IMG]
    Kind of freaked out by this. Any ideas what this is? We were thinking a second egg but it has no shell.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Strange! I don't know. Hopefully someone who does know will come and enlighten us.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Okay, you have stumped me. I've never seen anything like that.

It looks kind of like a yolk from what I can see in the picture. Is it soft? If you break it, what comes out?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    My first thought was an ovary. [​IMG][​IMG] I hope I am wrong. Did you break it open to see what it looks like inside?

5. Ray_n_Debi

Ray_n_Debi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    Looks like a second egg to me.
    [​IMG]

6. FlockO5ive

FlockO5ive Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Did the second egg have a shell? And for the record I am do not have the egg, they are from my chicken but it was a friend who found it.

She said it was soft, no shell around it.

7. Ray_n_Debi

Jan 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    It was an egg with a very soft shell. You will occasionally find a jelly type egg that does not have a shell.

8. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The shell-less eggs I've seen were all white, not pink, even when the hen producing them was a brown-egg layer.

What was the inside of it like?

9. Ray_n_Debi

Jan 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    I don't think we will ever know unless it was opened. Ovaries are clusters of ova, normally yellow in color. I don't think it would be that. I am curious if she is still laying though.

10. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    It's just so reddish, like what I guess paint makers call dusky rose or some such, like there's blood vessels in it. It could be a tumor perhaps which had a small attachment and broke free into the body only to be incorporated into an egg. I don't know. If it's soft and so pink, I would be leaning towards 'tumor' --- or, as you said Ray n Debi, maybe an ovary. Not that it seems typical for that but nobody's confirmed anything yet. Strange, anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by