What the heck is Pumpkin?

Westmarch

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
Pumpkin came out of a mixed feed store bin (along with an Easter Egger who I'm 97% certain is a cockerel). I don't think she herself is an Easter Egger as she has carrot-orange feet, but I can't place her. She had reddish chipmunk down as a baby and now that she's getting a few more feathers I thought maybe someone could identify her!

She is approximately 3.5 weeks old.

(P.S.: Asking the feed store employees was useless; it was the kind of store that has an "Araucana" sign on the EE bin.)

Last edited:
Hmmm! She does look a bit like a Welsummer. I'm wondering if she might be some kind of red sex link perhaps - I know so many kinds have the chipmunk down that she could grow into anything.

Oh, no need for respect - I'm sure I'm wrong, it was just a random guess based on the fact that there was also a big mixed bin labeled "Golden Comets" at the feed store and filled with all kinds of girls. I know different sexlinks can often look different based on their parents, so I just wondered if she found her way out of that box and was a type I had never seen before. :)

So Leghorn or Welsummer! I have never had either of those breeds and will have to read about them. I'll post another picture of Pumpkin in a month or so and maybe we can identify her for certain!

THE PLOT THICKENS. I''m actually thinking, based on the varieties the feed store claims they had, that Pumpkin might be a Speckled Sussex.

She's not a BO, a Comet, a RIR or a Barred Rock, and I don't think she is an Easter Egger, so by process of elimination (and the natural down pattern) I suspect she might be a Sussex. Hopefully things will become clearer in the coming weeks...

Could be SS - question, in the OP you state that she has "carrot orange" feet, are the photos really washed out or are her feet/legs more of a whitish shading?

ETA - do you have any photos of her as a downy baby? Sometimes it helps to see what version of chipmunk they were before they started to feather out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom