What to add to my flock? Opinions PLEASE!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chiqualetta, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Chiqualetta

Chiqualetta Chirping

Jan 14, 2019
    Missouri
    Hello! I currently have a flock with a mix of Rhode Island Reds, Dominique’s, one big Brahma rooster.. his lady unexpectedly passed.,Buff Orpington’s, gold laced Wyandotte’s and a handful of Easter Eggers.

I keep going back-and-forth on what I want to add to my existing flock in the next couple months. I love my Brahma so I automatically wanted to add more. How are Cochin? Pros/cons? I live 25 minutes from Cackle Hatchery(terrifying for my bank account)so I plan on picking them up in store.

I am trying to steer away from the smaller standard birds simply because when we added a couple smaller Easter Eggers They were bullied a bit by our big girls for a lot longer than expected.

I currently don’t have any white egg layers but I also don’t know what to look for as far as white egg layers go.

I like them big,round and fluffy

Attached Files:

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Barnevelders aren't white egg layers, but they're pretty cool-looking. Never owned any myself. I want a silver-laced one.

Personally, I like Australorps, though they're a little boring in appearance. They've got generally good, calm temperaments and are pretty good egg-layers.

My bantam cochins are friendly and really good mothers. Easily bullied by my smaller game hens, though. I've no experience with standards.

Chiqualetta and puffypoo like this.
  3. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    I have a friendly New Hampshire Red hen. Got a Black Jersey Giant by accident. She's not quite an Australorp like she was supposed to be.
    Speckled Sussex? I would like to get a Turken. I have some Black Stars.

Chiqualetta and puffypoo like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: