What to do when chicks arrive from PO?

Quote:
I think the incubator would not really make a good brooder, I would suspect they need much better access to fresh air and light. I wish you the best with the replacements, it's sad to loose the little ones like that. There are some excellent ideas on this site for good brooders, I would advise doing a search and see what you can come up with.

When I got chicks in the mail I put them in a large cardboard box with a small desk lamp in one corner and a sheet draped over the whole thing. They ran all over the box and went close to the light to sleep. I didn't lose any. Give them a source of heat to go to with plenty of room to run around in areas that aren't directly heated. They'll do what feels comfortable.
Oh, and since it was August I took them outside every day for most of the day. It was in the upper 80's-lower 90's so I just put them in the grass with a crate over them, in the shade of a tree. They loved it. I also gave them a mound of loose soil/sand to scratch in, they dug in and dusted themselves like there was no tomorrow. They need lots of light and air, try to go as natural as possible.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your chicks!! But glad they are sending new ones!! I ordered from Meyer hatchery they shipped mine on Monday evening and they got here Tuesday morning so they shipped over night. All 15 of my chicks are doing good so far. I have them in a brooder with a red heat lamp and it's about 95 - 100 in there. Then I didn't use sugar water I used vitamin and electrolytes in the water and they seemed to take right to it and started drinking and eating immediately. I also have paper towels down and sprinkled there food over it. And I'm still doing that. Good luck with your next flock!! Hope they're healthier this time!!
smile.png

Directly under the light; my temp was 95 for the first week;b ut with PLENTY of space to get away from the heat..

*rule of thumb is lower 5 degrees each week*

Sorry about your chickies
hit.gif

Thanks for all the support guys
smile.png
I have gotten a decent sized card board box from work (Target) and have bought a light that clamps, and bulb. All under $10! What kind of bulb should I be using? I have plugged in the lamp to test it and the bulb I got doesn't seem to be putting off much heat. The bulb I bought was on clearance, a energy smart, soft white, 40 watt bulb (but it only uses 9 watts of energy). I'm not sure if the wattage matters, or what exactly I should be looking for to be honest...

40 is way to low honestly. I wouldn't go lower than 75 and even then it probably needs to be just inches away from the chicks.... and you need a heat bulb, not a regular light bulb. You should be able to find them at any hardware/Co-op store.

Last edited:
Quote:
We are using a heat lamp. We picked it up at TSC but i suspect you could get one from any place that sells pet supplies.
smile.png

OK, going to Petsmart and look in the reptile section for a heat lamp tomorrow, if that doesn't work there is an Ace Hardware down the road, and if that doesn't work, there is a TSC about 30 minutes from me.
smile.png

I should have known that. My husband is an electrician and I should have double checked with him about the bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom