What to do with old sand at replacement time?

Drjerger

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2018
33192558-B9C8-41EC-BFDB-4DE56930A4D8.jpeg 12A9F5CB-AFEB-4498-8262-874CF5D7F76D.jpeg I am a new backyard chicken member and owner. I have Serama chickens and have built a small coop 5’ x 4’ and will be expanding it to include an adjacent run/play place. I won’t be free ranging them, as they are a stealth flock, and also the smallest (and most vulnerable) breed of chicken (they are full grown in these pics!). So...2 questions!
1-my coop has a sand floor, which is great! When I do a complete clean out, what do those of you using sand do with the old sand? Is it reusable, or do you just chuck it?
2-The primary reason I used sand was because I think it helps to keep flies from gathering, seems to, anyway. But I kind of want to seed the adjacent daytime run with grass to give them a free range feel. How can I reduce flies in this case?

I don’t use sand, but from what I’ve read, I thought you basically strain out the poo, leaving sand? Regarding grass: they’ll eat the seeds, and destroy anything that grows, FAST! I have large run off my coop that was dense grass...now, nothing but dirt. They even have several hours a day of free ranging out of their run, and they’ve still eaten EVERY shred of green in their run. I wouldn’t waste the time/money/effort on grass. I’m sure someone more experienced will chime in. I learn so much on BYC!

First, congratulations on your Seramas! They're so adorable and spirited. About the sand, what I do with poopy sand is to add it into soils for garden plants who require better drainage (granted by the sand) and can handle the high nitrogen content of the poop.

Beyond that, of you live in a dry climate and their turds just shrivel up and dry out, you could easily fabricate a sifter with 1/4" hardware cloth to strain droppings out and retain the bulk of the sand.

If you can compost, add the poo to your other compost for an added excellent nitrogen source.

Why can't you use it in a compost pile? in some areas sand us mixed into the soil because it isn't "loose" enough to allow for good soil drainage and for encouraging root growth, and with fertilizer built in, I would think it would help a garden a lot......

Back
Top Bottom