what to do with too much squash

My mil's zucchini casserole, easy-peasy!
Burger, catsup, zucchini, onion, cheese, bake til browned on top.

Or........brown ground beef, however much you use to feed your fam. Steam zucchini, again however much you want. Spread burger on bottom of casserole pan or dutch oven, cover with catsup. How much catsup, you might ask? However much you want! I just zig-zag over the meat a few times, by bil uses enough it's almost like a soup. Your choice! Spread steamed zucchini over catsup, sprinkle with dehydrated onion (absorbs some of the liquid from the zucchini), top with shredded cheese. Our favs are colby/jack and cheddar. Bake 375 oven for twenty five minutes or so. Yummy and if you use no added sugar catsup, it's low carb
big_smile.png

Zucchini bread also lasts a long time in the freezer. I've seen guidelines to use it within three months, but my non-low carbing son just found some in the freezer from last August and has eaten almost the whole loaf in three days. Poor boy, think he's missing his bread?

Quote:
HA-HA! oh, I know!
lol.png

That sounds good ...and easy.
now that I have all these ideas coming in, the squash is fading out. Now I wish I had not given so much away...but it would have gone bad on me. I am printing all of these ideas out and making me a squash recipe booklet. I will be prepared for fall.

For some reason, I didnt plant squash this spring. But I will plant it in a few months, probably end of August. Can't believe I actually have to pay money for zuchinni now. What was I thinking??

I made squash pickles today! Thanks for the idea!

6809_squash_pickles.jpg

Ingredients:
8 cups sliced yellow squash
2 cups sliced onion
1 Tablespoon non-ionized salt
1.5 cups diced green bell pepper
2 cups Apple Cider vinegar
3.5 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons mustard seeds

Combine squash & onion in a large enamel or teflon lined pot, sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 1 hour. Add green pepper, vinegar, sugar, seeds and bring to a boil. Pack in jars. Bring water to a boil in water-bath canner and place jars in the canner. Starting timer when water returns to a boil, process for 5 minutes, or 10 minutes for altitudes of 1,001 to 6,000 feet. Over 6,000 feet, process for 15 minutes.

Making the squash pickles with banana peppers tonight to jar. Then when I'm done baking the 3 dz biscotti I have to get done... I'll use the residual heat left in the oven to make squash chips.
smile.png

You guys ROCK!

I literally had squash coming out my ears and there is NO room left in my fridge for produce.
hmm.png

Quote:
I thought about adding the banana peppers, too. Since these were my first batch, I wanted to get an idea of how they would turn out. Next batch will be hot for my hubby.

I'm at the point tonight where I had to clear out all I could from the fridge, no room to harvest another dang thing! I have 6 quart jars of the squash pickles done now, 1 quart of just straight banana peppers... and 2 pints of white cuke pickles. 2 Trays of the squash in the oven to become chips now! ARGH!

I need sleep, but I have boxes to pack to ship so its going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong nite! hahaha

We have about reached the too much squash level here for the year so I came up with this last night.
Amounts are just a guess and don't matter that much anyway. this made two good servings.

2 cups mixed yellow squash and zuchinni. very small ones sliced on the bias.
1/2 fresh tomato, chopped
2-3 shallots minced (or onion or garlic)
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
fresh oregano and thyme, to taste
1-2 hot peppers if you like (I used one serano and one habanero)
1/2 cup or so of grated parmesan
10-12 saltine crackers broken up into big chunks, not crumbs.

Mix all together and pour into casserole or oven proof skillet. Bake at 425 until brown and crispy on top.
I was going for a firm texture not soupy squash and tomatoes.

It was very good.
As we were eating it it occured to me that some black olives would have been a very good addition. Could certainly add cooked meat and more/different cheese as well.

Back
Top Bottom