what to do with too much squash

3goodeggs

pays attention sporadically
10 Years
May 22, 2009
North Central Florida
I can vouch for the zucchini candy!!! And I dried a ton of it last year at the end of the season as well for use in soups and stews. Waiting for my zucchini to start producing... got a late start this year.....

And you can just stew down a huge pot and freeze it in dinner sized portions for use later. Or you can slice into match stick pieces, blanch and freeze for use in stir fry or lo mien.

Quote:
You see, without someone telling me that that would be good, the pie is a recipe I would have skipped.
now I will give it a try. I will make it today and surprise the guys. They'll just have to guess!
lol.png

I have not tried the gummy worms yet KD, I missed the zucchini last year, but I have the ingredients for this year waiting for today's harvest.
That might be a fun treat to send off for the long trip to boyscout camp.

When you freeze the match stick pieces, do you separate them and freeze them on a cookie sheet?
I love how quick it is to grab a handful of frozen vegetables and make stir fry. but I must freeze incorrectly. I have a solid block of squash ice.

I also put it through the grater and freeze in cup portions (especially the ones that get a little to big) for easy add to soup, sauce, chili, spagegti (whatever I can hide an additional serving or two of veggies unnoticed)

Quote:
For the smaller portions I just freeze in the snack sized bags and then put those bags in the gallon sized ones to keep everything together. Still solid block of frozen veggie though.

Last edited:
Quote:
You see, without someone telling me that that would be good, the pie is a recipe I would have skipped.
now I will give it a try. I will make it today and surprise the guys. They'll just have to guess!
lol.png

I have not tried the gummy worms yet KD, I missed the zucchini last year, but I have the ingredients for this year waiting for today's harvest.
That might be a fun treat to send off for the long trip to boyscout camp.

When you freeze the match stick pieces, do you separate them and freeze them on a cookie sheet?
I love how quick it is to grab a handful of frozen vegetables and make stir fry. but I must freeze incorrectly. I have a solid block of squash ice.

Squash Pie is very good! Kind of like pumpkin or sweet potato but better
droolin.gif

I believe my first squah of the year will be ready to pick tommorow.

I am trying that squash pie, probably will just bake it in a casserole instead of using a pie shell. It also seems like a little cinnamon wouldn't hurt a thing. Maybe some pecans and brown sugar on top before baking?

Quote:
lol.png
the squash is just a 'carrier with you, eh? That sounds like a good idea. Crusts are a flop for me. I was going to purchase one.
hide.gif

I like to take a squash and shred it. Squeeze it dry. Then make pancakes with them. Add sauteed onions, garlic, green onions and mushrooms if you like. They make a great side dish.
If you are rushed for time, just take a carton of jiffy mix and add the sauteed veggies. And then make pancakes.

Back
Top Bottom