What to feed quails of mixed ages, sexes and laying? Tractor Supply ed.

katie_94

Songster
Oct 14, 2021
We have coturnix quails. We'll be introducing the new quails to our outdoor run/coop as soon as they're old enough (right now they're 5 weeks old) and since they'll eventually be sharing the same food with the older quails, I'm wondering what they can ALL eat? The only feed store near me is Tractor Supply and what they have available is limited compared to what's on the website.

We have 10 coturnix quails that all live together: 2 boys, the rest females. The 2 boys and 1 girl are our first quails and could be 4-5 months old. The rest are about 3 months old. The new batch are 5 weeks old.

So far, the older quails are eating Purina 30% Protein Starter Gamebird and Turkey Feed with crushed oyster shells for the girls to help themselves to since not all of them are laying. The new batch is also eating Purina 30% Protein Starter Gamebird and Turkey Feed.

After they finish what's left in their feeders, we've now run out of the 30% Protein starter and I'm wondering if I can feed all of them the feed we have for the chickens which is Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles Premium Poultry Feed which has 20% protein. Will that be safe considering it's recommended for quail 8 weeks and older but I have some that are 5 weeks old?

I wait till 8 weeks to switch off 30% (or longer if I have extra). At 5 weeks they aren't full size yet, even though mine are starting to crow already

Nutrena meat bird is 22% I use it for birds 6+ weeks. It won't hurt to let your older birds have 30% for a couple weeks either though, especially if they are moulting. Long term high protein can lead to gout and other issues, hard on the liver for mature birds.

Nutrena meat bird is 22% I use it for birds 6+ weeks. It won't hurt to let your older birds have 30% for a couple weeks either though, especially if they are moulting. Long term high protein can lead to gout and other issues, hard on the liver for mature birds.
that's what i was afraid of reading about it before but ok! i'll try and get a small bag of 30% so that'll last for a couple of/few weeks then switch to a proper feed for all of them

none of them are molting so far

I wait till 8 weeks to switch off 30% (or longer if I have extra). At 5 weeks they aren't full size yet, even though mine are starting to crow already
the boys are crowing so much already too! so cute hehe

At about 5 weeks of age I switch my quail from 28% game bird feed to layer crumbles.

The 20% protein feed should be fine for your adults. Remember to give them some form of calcium on the side for your layers.
Will the 5 week old ones be okay?

And yes! I have oyster shells grinded to quail-size in a dish per your suggestion from my previous post.

Back
Top Bottom